Hello Intro!

Howdy! Welcome. I'm new member myself. Just joined days ago after lurking for a couple years when I had questions I don't trust just anyone to answer. This is THE place for reliable information for sure.
I'm really digging the community of folks who really get what chicken-less folks don't. It's more than eggs, meat, and hobby once you start connecting with your birds individual personalities.
I have quickly found I'm not so crazy after all! Crazy ya but wait till you get a load of some of the other crazies lol. My kind of peeple.
I love it! Discovering their personalities is such a joy!

Hey Paddlefoot, I'm interested in your story how this forum "saved (your) bacon with the last batch." Please do share your success story.
Well my first four, the teenagers, have been entirely problem free to-date. But I had my heart set on a silkie, so I jumped at a chance and got four more littles. When I got them home, I realized one of the 2 silkies had a club foot and what looked like pasty butt (something I’d never have known about without lurking on this site). So I soaked a warm cloth and soaked the pasty butt until it came free (which took wayyyy longer than I expected, but Paddlefoot herself just fell asleep).
Every time I looked anything up, this site popped up and I quickly discovered I probably soaked off her umbilical stump along with the pasty butt which scared me to bits. She just dried off and hopped along happily.
My next concern was the clubfoot, and once again, my research brought me here with great information on the fact that I could make a tiny splint and fix it. We popped some double sided sticky tape under the curled toes, used paper tape to secure it, left for 2 days, and viola!, she is fine.
I realized I should join because these babies were nothing like the many animals I’ve raised in my life and I needed to have access to people who both loved and understood them. So here I am.

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We are new chicken parents. We got our first four about 5 weeks ago and another 4 one week ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?
A little bit of everything (kind of...)
1 Golden laced Wyandotte
1 red brahma
1 “Ameracauna” probably an Easter egger
1 barred rock
Second batch is:
1 copper maran (I think)
1 silver seabright
2 silkies

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Seeing the kids with them and how quickly they change. They’re adorably quirky

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Gardening, interior design, wood working, family time

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Two littles of the human persuasion. 2 cats and 1 dog, plus the 8 new additions

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
Started with coop research, then became a bit of an obsession for every question I had, and has saved my bacon with the second batch, and I finally joined because of my chirpy little seabright. His/her brood-mates peep and trill happily while it runs around being as loud as possible if not eating and sleeping.

ALSO VERY INTERESTED IN/NEED RESOURCES/IDEAS FOR: all of it! At this point I splinted a club-footed silkie and knew what to do about pasty butt thanks to this forum, so bring it on!
Hello!! and welcome to the forums. I agree the breeds are great, I hope some breeds can be migrated here in the Philippines, That will be great

Back
Top Bottom