Hello! Introduction from Colorado...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by simplybusy, Apr 7, 2011.

1. simplybusy

simplybusy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Hi. [​IMG]

I live in a southern Denver, Colorado metro area suburb. I've been lurking around on BYC for a few years... all of which time we keep telling ourselves that "next year" we'll get chickens. I've said that for 4 years.... I tend to over analyze and organize (clearly to a fault [​IMG]). LOL. Finally, last weekend - my husband and I looked at eachother and said "what are we waiting for, exactly?". So on Sunday, we got 4 little fuzz balls. I'm hoping for 2 more this weekend at our local supply store. Now, I'm not sure what took us so long. These little ladies (hopefully!) are a hoot!

To answer some of the copy/paste questions from a sticky thread in this forum...

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    I'm an old hat to the idea, but finally jumping in for real about 5 days ago! My family all grew up with chickens as kids, but the home that I grew up in, we did not have them. I was around them on grandparent farms and such, and my sister in law keeps urban chickens in Boise, ID. We get a kick out of hearing about their chicken stories and antics.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    At the moment - 4. Hopefully to add 2 more this weekend. I'm hoping for a total of 4 hens. I remember skimming something about "chicken math"? [​IMG] hehe. In our neighborhood we can only have 4 hens, no roosters.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    We have 1 australorp, 1 aracauna (looks more like americauna), 1 silver lakenvelder, and 1 plymouth barred rock. I'm hoping to snag 2 cuckoo marans if our store gets them this coming Sunday.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Various OCD searches on the internet to feed my ever-obsessive addiction to researching/preparing for a wee flock of my own. lol.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I love to cook, garden, travel, and read (nonfiction).

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I am married (18 years) and I have 4 kids - ages 18 (boy), 14 (boy), and 9 (boy), and 5 (girl). We adopted our daughter 3 years ago from China. I don't work outside the home, I spend my time trying to keep up with my kids. My 82 year old Grandmother also lives with us (she needs help with mobility). I love my job as a Mother and Wife. In a past life, I was an RN working in OB/GYN. In addition to the chickens, we also have a turtle, a guinea pig, and a Pekepoo dog. My 9 year old son obsesses about animals, and honestly has the most amazing way of relating to them. He's aspiring to run a zoo someday while he lives nearby on his farm. [​IMG] He's starting early. Hehe. [​IMG]

I'm looking forward to jumping in here and finally becoming a member of this community now that we finally bit the bullet and got some little chicks! I have so much to learn. I was, afterall, going to get these little peeps - "next year". [​IMG] I'm trying to relearn all the stuff I thought I already knew. HA!

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Wow, 3 boys, 1 girl and Grandma! You are a busy woman!

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Congrats and good luck with your new chicks. They will bring you a lot of joy and eggs. [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

7. dawg53