Hello.. just searching for information.

Hello, again... hope you all will be able to answer this.. is it safe to use Band aid antiseptic wash on Ariel's healing wounds? she looks awful but she is healing. I've been using cotton swabs to dab the medicine. (it is that one that looks purple and smells awful)
Another question : Should I spend more time with her.. she is all alone in the garage.. i can sit out there and just keep her company... she panics when I pick her up but I hold her on her back and try to calm her. I sing to her. 🙂 She stops panicking when i do so.
Thank you all for your kindness.. its been a rough year. I need to do a lot of studying to feel more competent. Amber, the hen who fought her, is fine... I've been keeping an eye on her and she's healing cleanly (not nearly same the damage) and there are no fights, thank God! And the flooring is great! I'm glad I spent the money. Worth while to do.

Hello, again... hope you all will be able to answer this.. is it safe to use Band aid antiseptic wash on Ariel's healing wounds? she looks awful but she is healing. I've been using cotton swabs to dab the medicine. (it is that one that looks purple and smells awful)
Another question : Should I spend more time with her.. she is all alone in the garage.. i can sit out there and just keep her company... she panics when I pick her up but I hold her on her back and try to calm her. I sing to her. 🙂 She stops panicking when i do so.
Thank you all for your kindness.. its been a rough year. I need to do a lot of studying to feel more competent. Amber, the hen who fought her, is fine... I've been keeping an eye on her and she's healing cleanly (not nearly same the damage) and there are no fights, thank God! And the flooring is great! I'm glad I spent the money. Worth while to do.
I would avoid that brand of antiseptic as it has one of the "caines" in it which chickens should not be exposed to. Iodines are fine, saline solutions, just nothing with pain killers in it.

Definitely go sit with her, chickens don't particularly care to be held but they do enjoy interacting. If she is able, get her out, let her wander around, free range with her, just hang out with her a bit. Leave on a radio playing quietly when you aren't around so there is some white noise type thing for her.

Oh, I had thought of the white noise.. a radio.. playing low for her! wonderful. So no antiseptic wash. I'll have to think about letting her loose. Maybe I can fix up the herb garden? I could sit in there.. its a warmish fall day. I've wondered if that would help the others accept their fixed up coop some. (Hens, honest, I didn't want to upset you, i wanted you safer and drier for the winter!) I am going to buy a nice size dog wire kennel. I am using a very large plastic container (the same one we used when they were chicks!) with a cover. plastic screen but that wouldn't work if one of the larger chickens needed nursing. Thank you for this answer. I could do research for hours and not get the answers.

Hi, everyone ... Ariel is looking far better now.. there are only a few places on her comb where the blood/medicine is still caked and I can't seem to get that off without hurting her. Slowly its just falling off. Her neck feathers are growing back and no dried blood, there. She seems restless and miserable and I visit her a few times a day and hold and pet her... I don't know if that is good or silly of me. I think it comforts me more than her. It is going to rain with freezing temps here the next few days. Yes, snow is a possiblity. This early? Yes. Part of me thinks I should reintroduce her now. Part is apprehensive and very concerned that it is not yet. Is caution better or is she suffering because she is away from her usual home?

Can anyone give me some extra advice. could put her in the coop today in the cat carrier (now officially a chicken carrier!) If you think I am hesitating out of fear, you would be right. A friend gave me a wooden box and I think that will be my ultimate tool Give her someplace to hide if the other chickens give her grief.
Thank you again... OH and i just looked out the window towards the coop - it looks like a young deer found it's way into the compound. :confused::lau

Welcome to BYC.
We are very Eggcited you joined.
First and foremost, I am so sorry to read about the recent death of your husband. I certainly hope you can find peace in pursuing his chicken hobby.
Second, I hadn't heard much about anyone "Tatting" anymore. That is so kool and will be a lost art someday so. I'm glad your still "Tatting".
May I suggest that you grab yourself a drink and pull up a chair. We are a very addicting social group from across the globe.
We have people which whom will respond that have more expertise and hands on experience than most vets. (I'm not bashing).
So on that note, start learning all you can and enter the various contests to win prizes. Oh! I FORGOT, WE LOVE flock pictures.

Hello, I am Kathymary (or Kathleen Mary) my husband took care of our little flock (Four birds; One Barred Rock, 2 Orpingtons, 1 Bantam. ) more than I ever did. He died of cancer in January and I've continued to care for them. I am enjoying the responsibility. They are egg laying Hens, nearly pets, and not for food. I didn't have any problems most of the year. I am now Having some problems; I replaced the floor of the coop and I suspect it caused more stress than I thought it would. My bantam, Ariel, had begun to refuse to turn up in the evening and then reappeared only fight Amber through the netting 2 mornings ago. I am not sure who was the real aggressor. Amber was a little damaged, but I washed her wounds off and put medicine on them, and after two days, she seems back to normal. Bernice, the barred rock and Blondie do not seem to be attacking her. I need to know more about reintroducing my pretty little Bantam, Ariel, back into the coop after she heals from her wounds. (question 1: do I wait until she is completely healed?)
I have Ariel sequestered in the garage. I'm 69, retired, living in Rural South Central Washington state. I own 10 acres, mostly, mixed forest. It's been a really challenging year for me. My husband used to check your site, though, I don't think he ever posted. I have a lot to learn, but that has been true, generally, this year. I have two sweet cats or they have me. Not sure which. Another question: how long until they get used to their nice new floor?
My hobbies are crochet, knitting, weaving, gardening, sewing, writing, cooking, tatting.
Thank you for any advice.
I Kathmandy,
Would you please add your geographical location to your profile?
That way everytime you post a question, we will be better to help you. Although most issues are the same, many are different because of the geological location.
Aart has been nice enough to present a picture of how to add it.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201006-160321_BackYard Chickens.jpg
    Screenshot_20201006-160321_BackYard Chickens.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 1
Welcome to BYC.
We are very Eggcited you joined.
First and foremost, I am so sorry to read about the recent death of your husband. I certainly hope you can find peace in pursuing his chicken hobby.
Second, I hadn't heard much about anyone "Tatting" anymore. That is so kool and will be a lost art someday so. I'm glad your still "Tatting".

Thank you. I have been watching a lot of videos about raising chickens. I'm starting to create a procedure to reintroduce little Ariel into the flock. I hope it works. The gist seems to be to reintroduce her slowly. I hope I will succeed. There is so much to learn! They are predicting a snow tonight and tomorrow. Winter is coming early (though a friend with horses tell me that she thinks it will be a mild winter!)
My mother and grandmother both tatted. I pretty much taught myself. I haven't done any this year but I am trying to calm down and be creative... this loss pretty much broke my heart to be honest. I truly believe there is healing when we do our arts and crafts.

Back
Top Bottom