Hello! Looking for suggestions for one of our hens that can't walk

boulderb

In the Brooder
May 15, 2015

Turbo (on the right) is a 2yr old Golden Comet. A few of weeks ago she started limping. Now she is hardly walking or standing. Her right leg/foot seems to be causing her pain. There is no visible sign of injury or bumble foot. She seems fine otherwise eating, drinking and still laying. We've tried giving her vitamins, electrolytes and even started tetracycline. Nothing has helped yet. We hope she'll recover. We're not really sure what if anything we can do for her at this point. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Welcome to BYC
smile.png

Have you checked her legs for swelling, pain or heat? Are there any wounds on her legs or pelvis? Is it both legs or just one? Is she eating and drinking?

She has no obvious signs of injury other than not being able to put weight on her right leg. She's eating and laying still.

Yes, it does seems to be hurting her. I just meant that I couldn't see a visible break, swelling, cut etc so it's hard to determine what exactly the problem is. I actually first noticed her having a limping several months ago but then it went away and she seemed fine for a while then a few weeks ago it came back and now she can't walk. Reoccurring injury? or something new I'm not sure but it is the same leg.

She might have re-injured the leg. This time it seems worse than before. Restricting her movement and giving her a quiet and calm place to heal where she doesn't constantly have to move around will help speed her recovery.

Back
Top Bottom