Hello Members

Stephen Sharpe

Chirping
Nov 7, 2017
My name is Steve and my Wife and I had first started to get chickens February of 2017. We had planes on doing so for a few years but decided to build a very large chicken coop for many rescued chickens/chicks we had received.
Currently we have about 50 chickens an 7 ducks and yes they all have names. Some of our chickens are handiecaped and one was born with our eyes when I found her at 4 days old. She now is about 8lbs. Many other of the chicks we had were also disabled in some capacity and we had rehabed many of them back to health. With taking on so many different types this year we learned that we had 50% rosters earlier on but have found a way for them to all get along. Our ratio is a lot better now but still have some challenges. Currently we are not dealing with any issues of domanace.
We have many different types..Bantams, Brama Lites, Frizzles, Americans, Reds, Asian Blue, silkies, Astrolopes, Amberlinks, Sussex, Cochin, leghorn,
Black Sexlink, Flure, and more.
This past year after seeking advise or reading posts from other members seeking advise I have learned there are many great contributors to this forum and I hope to be able to contribute back to the community.
I have many hands on hobbies one being home renovations. Currently between the large undergoing of creating and caring for these chickens my first year has really put all other hobbies aside.
We also live in a very rural area so we have the room and have taken every procaution to ward off predictors and ensure the safety of the flock. As well we do have cats and dogs.

Moglie (Blind Chicken) at 2 weeks with her buddy.
EC73D0D1-BF69-420B-8327-B1BEFAD1B90D.jpeg

Hello:frow
Welcome to BYC!!
So glad to have you here!!
Thanks for sharing your story!!
We need more people like you!!!
All but one of our inside animals are all rescued.
Grew up rescuing animals with my mom she currently has 20 cats she rescued.
(Cat lady)
Its warms my heart to give an animal the chance they deserve to live the best life they can or better!!
Thanks again for sharing your story and photos.

Back
Top Bottom