Hello, my name is Carmen, and I am addicted to chicks.

3byc-pull-up-a-roost.png

hello-smiley.gif
We're glad you joined us! Congrats on finally moving out to horse country! Hubby and I are still looking (want the arena already built) and it could take a couple years yet to find the right place. Best wishes to you and your growing flock!

View attachment 1842404
View attachment 1842405 We're glad you joined us! Congrats on finally moving out to horse country! Hubby and I are still looking (want the arena already built) and it could take a couple years yet to find the right place. Best wishes to you and your growing flock!
Good luck, Feathermaid! I hope to see an update before long that you have found your dream place!!

Our birds, in random order. The first is the second roo that crowed this week. Yes, one of the pictures shows a chicken on my son's head. That is the Kelso. Lots of chicks in our current batch. And our grown girls, one of which we recently had to put down, as she had become chronically egg bound (pictures in a tub, and my profile picture).

Enjoy! Horses next...

20190711_073247(0).jpg
20190711_073247(0).jpg
20190711_063524.jpg
20190701_115827.jpg
20190625_111243.jpg
20190509_131438.jpg
20190407_171051.jpg
20190311_090448.jpg
20190124_172823.jpg
20181029_174820.jpg

Now for the horses!

First off, my boy, Merlin - the 19 year old Caspian stud. Caspians are an ancient breed, believed to be depicted as early as King Darius' seal in Biblical times, and possible predecessor of Arabians. When viewed without scale, they can easily be mistaken for them! In reality, they are pony size horses, although true horses in skeletal build and disposition, making them wonderful children's mounts and great driving horses! (Yes, I am in love with the breed!) My boy I have known since he was about 2. Shortly after meeting him, he was abandoned on a property, where a few years later, I was asked if I knew of anyone who wanted to take him and 3 other studs, as the place was being liquidated. I helped pull him and his friends off the land, and they went to some friends of ours. My boy and I had a special bond from the beginning, and he was earmarked as mine for when we could take on a horse. Ten years and 4 kiddos later, we were in a position to take him! We have now had him for almost 4 years, and just love him to bits! He was harness trained under our friends' care, and my kiddos are now in the process of saddle training him... while they learn to ride!

The second horse, Desperado (or Snip), came when my hubby got horse fever last year and wanted his own. He bought a yearling half-Arabian from the barn owner that we had watched grow as a foal. He is a sweetie, but still has another year before we ride him. The wait is agonizing!!

20190529_212922.jpg
20190321_170359.jpg
20190317_165354.jpg
20190317_163910.jpg
20190312_173901.jpg
20190310_191928.jpg
20190105_160805.jpg
20180925_173902.jpg

I have a problem, but I seek no help!

We currently have 22 chickens. We had 23 yesterday, but our 10 week cream legbar started to crow and he found a new home!! Today an Ameraucana started to crow, and now I am debating letting him breed with some of our mature hens!

We have had chickens for almost 4 years now, starting with our "Home Depot Special", a hen my husband and son caught that had gotten loose in a Home Depot garden section. We later found out she was a Kelso (fighting breed. Oops), but she laid great little eggs pretty much daily for some time! Now she's broody more often than not, but my son loves her to bits!

Once we figured out what she was, we added 3 Rhode Island Reds to make our flock. Then we added a Silver Laced Wyandotte and 2 Australorps. They were fine in our backyard till the city found them. Oops. Those now live at the barn where we stable our horses, and we have since bought 7 acres we are prepping to move onto, now with 17 more chicks coming to bring up our flock numbers! Hoping they fly under the radar with the city till then!!

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Now for the horses!

First off, my boy, Merlin - the 19 year old Caspian stud. Caspians are an ancient breed, believed to be depicted as early as King Darius' seal in Biblical times, and possible predecessor of Arabians. When viewed without scale, they can easily be mistaken for them! In reality, they are pony size horses, although true horses in skeletal build and disposition, making them wonderful children's mounts and great driving horses! (Yes, I am in love with the breed!) My boy I have known since he was about 2. Shortly after meeting him, he was abandoned on a property, where a few years later, I was asked if I knew of anyone who wanted to take him and 3 other studs, as the place was being liquidated. I helped pull him and his friends off the land, and they went to some friends of ours. My boy and I had a special bond from the beginning, and he was earmarked as mine for when we could take on a horse. Ten years and 4 kiddos later, we were in a position to take him! We have now had him for almost 4 years, and just love him to bits! He was harness trained under our friends' care, and my kiddos are now in the process of saddle training him... while they learn to ride!

The second horse, Desperado (or Snip), came when my hubby got horse fever last year and wanted his own. He bought a yearling half-Arabian from the barn owner that we had watched grow as a foal. He is a sweetie, but still has another year before we ride him. The wait is agonizing!!

View attachment 1842595 View attachment 1842600 View attachment 1842602 View attachment 1842604 View attachment 1842605 View attachment 1842606 View attachment 1842610 View attachment 1842616

Great photos- all of them! So glad you shared your beautiful family. What a wonderful experience you are all having together! Your chickens are a crack up and your horses are beautiful. Everyone looks happy and healthy :love again, so glad your joined our flock!

Back
Top Bottom