Hello! New chicken mom and so very proud.

PotagerCottage

Hatching
May 14, 2015
Hello chicken lovers! I have been planning on chickens for years but have only just begun my chicken parenting this month. A good friend of mine, who raised silkies, is moving out of state and needed a home for a group of 5 silkie babies and one silkie/cochin blend baby. Now, if I could just tell if they are all pullets...

Good to meet you. Can't wait to learn more!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Love your avatar! Just adorable! Congrats on your new Silkie babies. Silkies are very hard to sex until they are much older. Generally you have to wait until they crow or lay an egg. You might stop by our Silkies thread and do some chatting with other Silkie owners for more info and help with your new little ones...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

Enjoy your new flock and if you have any questions about them, feel free to ask around the forums.

Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on your chicks! I agree with TwoCrows, I LOVE your avatar! What a cutie! Silkies are a great breed and I hope you are enjoying them. You've definitely come to the right place to learn about chickens and chat with chicken lovers. We are so glad you've joined the community. Good luck with your flock and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I used to raise Black Silkies, and they are a wonderful breed; adorable, sweet, gentle, friendly, and funny. My children made lap pets of ours. I'm sure you will love them. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Silkies.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens :welcome Silkies were my first breed and they were a GREAT introduction to the world of chickens! When they are about twelve weeks old I can help you figure out their genders because they are super hard to sex. If you have any questions let me know :)

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. :frow
Silkies are notoriously hard to sex. :barnie Good luck with them!

Last edited:
It's very hard to determine sex on Silkies before 4-5 mos. of age., even some breeders have to wait for a crow or an egg to be sure. IF you do have some pullets, silkies generally make the very best broody hens. Many people buy them for this reason. However, when they are broody, egg production stops.

Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Back
Top Bottom