Hello - new member from Maryland

mmcc

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Hi, I have read on this forum before but just became a member yesterday. I live in Maryland, just outside of Washington, D.C., on 25 acres, mostly wooded.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I raised eggs for a while when my kids were little - 30 years ago, but started raising them to sell eggs about 3 years ago. Right now we have about 70 adults, and 3 hatchings of chicks - a few days old (16), 3 weeks old (2), and 4 weeks old (9). Our chickens are in an extrememly large fenced yard to keep predators away - 8 foot high fence, wire crisscrossing the top, and an electric fence running around the top of the yard. We also have a smaller yard and seperate coop for a rooster and 7-8 hens for producing eggs.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

70 adults, 27 chicks, 2 guineas

(3) What breeds do you have?

Several red varieties - mostly red rock, also barred rocks, and a couple of black hens and a couple of yello

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Looking for advice on candling originally, and this time the photo contest message from Brinsea.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Raise fruit and can and sell organic jam. Also greatly enlarging vegetable production.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

58 yrs old, retired on disability (multiple sclerosis) from the public school system, husband and 3 grown kids, and raise koi.

Hello
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Hesperia,Ca
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif

Hello MMCC!

Boy, lots of questions, so here goes......

I live in the outskirts of a little village called Strasburg. We've got a little over six acres, mostly wooded like yours. I started as a backyard hobbyist with a little 6x6 A-frame coop and three little Golden Buff hybred pullets. They were so wonderful! Soon my little coop didn't have enough room, so found a small animal barn (8x12) on Craigslist for only $675.00, and that included relocating it to my place, so now I have a cute little red barn, as well as my A-frame.

Currently, I have (these are all hens) 2 Cream Brabanters, 1 RIR, 1 BR, 1 GLW, one little white mutt hen, and one of my original Golden Buff's, my faithful, friendly old hen, Daisy.

Then, I've got six red pullets that are appx 6-8 weeks old, six SLW (3 cockerels, 3 pullets) also 6-8 weeks old, also from TSC--they were straight run chicks.

I've got two Olive Eggers that I hatched that are appx 7 weeks old, and 3 Buckeye chicks that are just a few days old, and 3 Polish Bantams that are about a week old now, in a brooder in the house. I hatched them all.

My favorite chick is the white bantam Polish that I hatched, and it's a frizzle....The cutest chick I've ever seen!

I've got a husband, and four kids. Two are grown and out of the house, two are still in school.

Hubby and I love to garden, though we're not really very good at it....We learn something new every year.....(We blame poor, rocky soil). haha I love the chickens, and hubby does too. I really just like to keep some hens for eggs, and then some eye candy breeds. My neighbors really seem to like them. (Thank goodness) I also crochet. Hubby likes football.

We just recently bought a wood burner and had it installed, so we'll be cutting wood all summer, since we have the woods, and it's in dire need of some thinning. We plan on calling the forestry dept to get an idea of what we should leave and what we should cut.

Take care and very nice to meet you!

Back
Top Bottom