Hello, New to backyard chickens

Marckerson acres barnies

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2018
Wilmot, New Hampshire
Hello all,

I just wanted to say Hi since I finally signed up as a member. I bought my first chickens almost a year ago and have been reading so much on this site. Thank you for the forums and all of the articles which as helped a lot.

So I will quickly tell you a little about me and my flock. I bought a flock of 8 barnevelders last spring not really sure if I would love chickens or not. It turns out I not only love my girls but I am slightly obsessed with them. As I mentioned I have referenced this site a lot. I grew up on a horse farm and now have a herd of alpaca but never had chickens and I have had an education this year. We even were able to hatch and raise some chicks with the help of a couple broody hens. I really do love the barnevelder breed. They are quite and docile and even the rooster is very polite with people. I am hoping to continue raising the Barnevelders and work on color and lacing patterns in the flock. I added a few pictures to show what my flock looks like. Hope you all enjoy!
IPHONE 2017 summer-fall 019.JPG

IPHONE 2017 summer-fall 229.JPG
IPHONE 2017 summer-fall 420.jpg

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Hello all,

I just wanted to say Hi since I finally signed up as a member. I bought my first chickens almost a year ago and have been reading so much on this site. Thank you for the forums and all of the articles which as helped a lot.

So I will quickly tell you a little about me and my flock. I bought a flock of 8 barnevelders last spring not really sure if I would love chickens or not. It turns out I not only love my girls but I am slightly obsessed with them. As I mentioned I have referenced this site a lot. I grew up on a horse farm and now have a herd of alpaca but never had chickens and I have had an education this year. We even were able to hatch and raise some chicks with the help of a couple broody hens. I really do love the barnevelder breed. They are quite and docile and even the rooster is very polite with people. I am hoping to continue raising the Barnevelders and work on color and lacing patterns in the flock. I added a few pictures to show what my flock looks like. Hope you all enjoy!View attachment 1285111
View attachment 1285114 View attachment 1285115
They're beautiful! I've never owned a barnevelder but now I want some.

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

G’Day from down under Mackerson acres barnies :frow Welcome!

Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing! :clap

I am pleased you delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you include your general location on your profile, this will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share more Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom