Hello!! New to BYC and new to the wacky world of chicken keeping!

HaleyM

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2015
Sonoma County, California
Hey everyone! My chickens are about 9 weeks old and I've had them since they were 5 weeks! As much as I enjoy having them, I must say I'm a bit nervous and feel completely out of my element. I'm really happy I have the advice and support of thousands of amazing chickens lovers on BYC!

RaisinKyBanties

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2015
Hey everyone! My chickens are about 9 weeks old and I've had them since they were 5 weeks! As much as I enjoy having them, I must say I'm a bit nervous and feel completely out of my element. I'm really happy I have the advice and support of thousands of amazing chickens lovers on BYC!
Hi HaleyM, I'm a newbie to the forum as well. I've been relying on the website for over a year and I can honestly say its the best place on the web to learn all about chickens. Good Luck!

KeyFlock

Songster
Feb 22, 2015
Kansas
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!!

HaleyM

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2015
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! 2 questions: where do I get all the cute chicken emojis???...and I have a few feral cats that roam my yard. I see one in particular that pays close attention to the girls and sort of swiped at one as she ran by. Nothing serious has happened but I will be devastated if it does. Advice?

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 30, 2015
Cats can kill chickens although my chickens chase the local feral cats away. I guess providing a secure run for your chickens is the only long term answer, or "disappearing" the cats - but they will likely be replaced by former is possibly the best way to go. Dogs, geese etc can also deter cats.

Other members may have additional suggestions.

Good,luck

Ct

HaleyM

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2015
I never built a run because we have such a beautiful pasture and I want them to free range. I guess trapping the cats and finding a home or shelter for them would be best. Honestly, I just don't feel like going through the hassle. Thanks for the advice!

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 30, 2015
I understand completely. I occasionally lose the odd hen to Hawks but I prefer to have my flock free range my garden rather than keeping them enclosed - the odd loss here and there is a price I am willing to pay (accompanied by some rather strong
language when it does happen
1f604.png
)

Ct

Top Bottom