Hello!! New to BYC and new to the wacky world of chicken keeping!

HaleyM

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2015
Sonoma County, California
Hey everyone! My chickens are about 9 weeks old and I've had them since they were 5 weeks! As much as I enjoy having them, I must say I'm a bit nervous and feel completely out of my element. I'm really happy I have the advice and support of thousands of amazing chickens lovers on BYC!

Hey everyone! My chickens are about 9 weeks old and I've had them since they were 5 weeks! As much as I enjoy having them, I must say I'm a bit nervous and feel completely out of my element. I'm really happy I have the advice and support of thousands of amazing chickens lovers on BYC!
Hi HaleyM, I'm a newbie to the forum as well. I've been relying on the website for over a year and I can honestly say its the best place on the web to learn all about chickens. Good Luck!

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! 2 questions: where do I get all the cute chicken emojis???...and I have a few feral cats that roam my yard. I see one in particular that pays close attention to the girls and sort of swiped at one as she ran by. Nothing serious has happened but I will be devastated if it does. Advice?

Cats can kill chickens although my chickens chase the local feral cats away. I guess providing a secure run for your chickens is the only long term answer, or "disappearing" the cats - but they will likely be replaced by former is possibly the best way to go. Dogs, geese etc can also deter cats.

Other members may have additional suggestions.

Good,luck

Ct

I never built a run because we have such a beautiful pasture and I want them to free range. I guess trapping the cats and finding a home or shelter for them would be best. Honestly, I just don't feel like going through the hassle. Thanks for the advice!

I understand completely. I occasionally lose the odd hen to Hawks but I prefer to have my flock free range my garden rather than keeping them enclosed - the odd loss here and there is a price I am willing to pay (accompanied by some rather strong
language when it does happen
1f604.png
)

Ct

Back
Top Bottom