Hello! New to Chickens

GigiMarie

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Definitely new to chickens. My husband and I got our first chickens this fall.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We have 4 chickens. 3 hens and 1 roo. Ultimately we ended up having the roo indoors as an indoor pet. Our local community does allow for chicken keeping but doesn't allow roosters. We had paid for "sexed" chicks and still ended up with a little rooster. We weren't able to find a home for him so now he's an indoor pet (for now at least!). We've been fortunate that he is a little guy and super sweet.

(3) What breeds do you have? We have 2 Wyandottes hens, 1 bantam hen, and a Sebright bantam roo.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I love their personalities. Each one is different. These are pets (even the outdoor hens) for us. We spent a lot of time handling them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I read a lot. We are avid campers and just bought our first camper this year.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. My family is my husband and 7 year old daughter. We have two dogs (pointer mix and husky/pyrenees mix), a cat, a tortoise named Eleanor, and now the chickens.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? I found BYC doing multiple google searches to ensure I was taking care of my chickens well and to figure out how (if it was even possible) to have an indoor roo.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Definitely new to chickens. My husband and I got our first chickens this fall.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We have 4 chickens. 3 hens and 1 roo. Ultimately we ended up having the roo indoors as an indoor pet. Our local community does allow for chicken keeping but doesn't allow roosters. We had paid for "sexed" chicks and still ended up with a little rooster. We weren't able to find a home for him so now he's an indoor pet (for now at least!). We've been fortunate that he is a little guy and super sweet.

(3) What breeds do you have? We have 2 Wyandottes hens, 1 bantam hen, and a Sebright bantam roo.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I love their personalities. Each one is different. These are pets (even the outdoor hens) for us. We spent a lot of time handling them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I read a lot. We are avid campers and just bought our first camper this year.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. My family is my husband and 7 year old daughter. We have two dogs (pointer mix and husky/pyrenees mix), a cat, a tortoise named Eleanor, and now the chickens.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? I found BYC doing multiple google searches to ensure I was taking care of my chickens well and to figure out how (if it was even possible) to have an indoor roo.
:welcome :welcome :welcome

Back
Top Bottom