Hello , ok I have 8 hens and 1rooster

Kim8erly

In the Brooder
May 17, 2023
Louisiana
I have 8 hens and 1 rooster they are in same coop /yard. My hens are now being introduced to laying feed , someone said my rooster can't not eat it , I'm a first time chick mom , how do I feed him . Oh and they all are siblings and or same age.

Not an expert in chicken feed. @U_Stormcrow can explain it way better. Basically layer feed will do damage to a non-laying bird over a large period of time due to the added amounts of calcium needed for laying hens. You can feed starter/grower feed with oyster shells on the side

Not an expert in chicken feed. @U_Stormcrow can explain it way better. Basically layer feed will do damage to a non-laying bird over a large period of time due to the added amounts of calcium needed for laying hens. You can feed starter/grower feed with oyster shells on the side
How long can I do this ? Starter /OS on side

I have 8 hens and 1 rooster they are in same coop /yard. My hens are now being introduced to laying feed , someone said my rooster can't not eat it , I'm a first time chick mom , how do I feed him . Oh and they all are siblings and or same age.
Snap - I have the same :)
I don't worry too much about this - if there is corn and you give other feed then the amount of layers that he would consume would be pretty minimal as they don't eat as much due to not laying themselves. I rarely see our rooster at the layers pellets. Don't sweat it :)

Back
Top Bottom