Hello , Sunshine Farms here we are having an issue with one of our hatchlings just a few days old

Sunshine Farms

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2018
'' In The Stix On A Mountain Top ''
She doesn't seem to be able to walk !
She was fine at first when she hatched out .
I call her Shelby because she reminds me of the struggle that Shelby faced in Steele Magnolias!
She can drink a little , But I had to seperate her from the rest of the chicks because she isnt responding well with them they keep picking on her and stepping on her .
She is smaller than them and had trouble getting out of her shell !
But she has survived the struggle so far ...

Is there anything I can do to help her improve ?

Hi Sunshine, welcome to flock. Exactly what do you mean by "doesn't seem to be able to walk?" I had 3 SLW chicks that had problems walking when they were young, the first couple of days they were fine, running like normal chicks, then one morning I went out and none of them could walk normally so if you can describe the not walking thing, I may be able to help you.

Yes certainly!
Okay so she was born 2 days ago. '' She was walking around just fine at first ''
Then late yesterday evening , she couldn't move her legs !
She ''chirps and will drink '' , But I am unable to get her to be able to ''walk, and or eat ''without struggling ! ''
And , she will ''open her eyes '' every once in a while ..
But her legs seem to be stiffened ..

:/

Yes certainly!
Okay so she was born 2 days ago. '' She was walking around just fine at first ''
Then late yesterday evening , she couldn't move her legs !
She ''chirps and will drink '' , But I am unable to get her to be able to ''walk, and or eat ''without struggling ! ''
And , she will ''open her eyes '' every once in a while ..
But her legs seem to be stiffened ..

:/
okay, it does sound like my SLW and a little like my OE bantam at the same time. What breed is she? Is she LF or Bantam? Does she get up on her feet at all? Does she lay on her side or on her tummy?
My OE banty couldn't eat when I first got him so I watered down his feed, just a tiny amount, one feeding at a time (about 10 or 15 times a day) and let him "drink" his food After about 2 days, he started eating his food normally by his own choice. I absolutely agree with Farmer Connie about the vitamins and electrolytes, absolute must for this little one.
As for the walking, I'm sorry but I really do need a little more information if you can, the questions I asked at first should help me.

okay, it does sound like my SLW and a little like my OE bantam at the same time. What breed is she? Is she LF or Bantam? Does she get up on her feet at all? Does she lay on her side or on her tummy?
My OE banty couldn't eat when I first got him so I watered down his feed, just a tiny amount, one feeding at a time (about 10 or 15 times a day) and let him "drink" his food After about 2 days, he started eating his food normally by his own choice. I absolutely agree with Farmer Connie about the vitamins and electrolytes, absolute must for this little one.
As for the walking, I'm sorry but I really do need a little more information if you can, the questions I asked at first should help me.

She is a Black Austrolorp and since Ive been hydrating her she is now beginning to bend and move one of them . And she is opening her eyes :eek: more often and raising her head now :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom