Hello what is this? Is something wrong with her?

Ga1lus

Hatching
Dec 14, 2020
IMG_20201214_152609.jpg
IMG_20201214_152609.jpg

Welcome To BYC!
Can you please give more information?
Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed your chicks?
How are they housed?
Are there any lesions inside the beak - yellow or white pasty material, any bad odor coming from the beak?
She is part of our second batch of chicks I dont really know what im doing yet. They are about 3 weeks old and im not really sure what breed to call them, we call them zulu chickens they are a ingenious breed from South Africa Kwazulu natal. They live under an open roof with a heater and in a cage to keep rats out. They also used to get extra vitamins and minerals in their water but I havent given it to them for a while now. I dont feed them the same every time. Sometimes I give them broiler starter, sometimes crushed corn seeds and sometimes crushed fermented corn seeds. At the start they were fed normal chicken starter.
This is the first time Ive seen it but Im not sure that she wasnt hatched with it. She is the only one of the bunch that has it. I do not see anything in her mouth and neither smell anything. It does look like something is growing at both sides of her mouth.

She is part of our second batch of chicks I dont really know what im doing yet. They are about 3 weeks old and im not really sure what breed to call them, we call them zulu chickens they are a ingenious breed from South Africa Kwazulu natal. They live under an open roof with a heater and in a cage to keep rats out. They also used to get extra vitamins and minerals in their water but I havent given it to them for a while now. I dont feed them the same every time. Sometimes I give them broiler starter, sometimes crushed corn seeds and sometimes crushed fermented corn seeds. At the start they were fed normal chicken starter.
This is the first time Ive seen it but Im not sure that she wasnt hatched with it. She is the only one of the bunch that has it. I do not see anything in her mouth and neither smell anything. It does look like something is growing at both sides of her mouth.
Do you have active mosquitoes right now?
Just a guess at Fowl Pox, but I would think you would start seeing this on other chicks too.
If she's eating/drinking well on her own and relatively active, I would be inclined to wait and see if the lesions/bumps resolve on their own. If they get worse or begin to weep, etc. I would use something like Iodine or Genetian Violet/Blu Kote taking care to just dot it on the lesions instead of rubbing them.

Let's tag in @Eggcessive to see if she has any other thoughts.

Do you have active mosquitoes right now?
Just a guess at Fowl Pox, but I would think you would start seeing this on other chicks too.
If she's eating/drinking well on her own and relatively active, I would be inclined to wait and see if the lesions/bumps resolve on their own. If they get worse or begin to weep, etc. I would use something like Iodine or Genetian Violet/Blu Kote taking care to just dot it on the lesions instead of rubbing them.

Let's tag in @Eggcessive to see if she has any other thoughts.
Yes we have mosquitos now. The rain has started not long ago and theres pools of water everywhere also big inactive bathes of water used for hydroponics that is full of mosquito larvae not far away Im not on that land at night times but I assume there would be a lot of mosquitos then

Back
Top Bottom