Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Patchouli, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Patchouli

Patchouli New Egg

Jan 13, 2016
    New here, from Arizona and looking for some good info before I jump in and get over my head! I'm interested in having maybe two hens for egg laying.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have come to the right place for all the fun and learning!

You might start in our learning center. All kinds of great articles to help you get started, from raising the chicks, building the coop, and keeping your adult flock happy and healthy....https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

While many people have their favorite breeds, I am especially fond of the Orpingtons (Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons). Both of these are very friendly, great layers and over all a healthy sturdy breed. My Black Aussies are huge on lap sitting and just beg for the attention and lovin'. Excellent layers long into life.

Feel free to browse our forums, ask any questions you may have and good luck on this new chicken journey!! :)

3. Birdlover 13

Birdlover 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    South Africa
    Hello and welcome to BYC!!![​IMG][​IMG] I hope you enjoy it! Follow TwoCrows advice and you'll soon find your way around. I haven't got my chickens yet but I'm going for Buff Orpingtons.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  4. Chocalatte

Chocalatte New Egg

Jan 5, 2016
    In the Clouds
    Hello

5. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hello and :welcome
    We are glad you joined us!

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us and good luck with your planning.

I would suggest you consider starting with 3 or 4 - they are happier in flocks, and it gives you a buffer in case you do have a problem drawing a rooster or an unexpected loss.

If you have a means to brood baby chicks - do consider it, they grow up fast, but there's a special fun to see those early milestones.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may want to post on your state thread. Good chance some BYCers may live near you.

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy Patchouli and Welcome to BYC!

I just wanted to echo sunflour’s advice on considering 3 or 4 to start with. I started with only 2 pullets and sadly, one passed away leaving one on her own. She was very sad and I had to dash out and find her a companion quickly; lucky I was able to do that. So yep, that buffer is an excellent idea.

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by