Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KJ6485, Feb 16, 2016.

1. KJ6485

KJ6485 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, My name is Kelly, I am new to BYC and soon to be chicken owner. My family and I have recently moved to the country and have decided to bring chickens into our lives for eggs, responsibility and entertainment. We will be receiving our first babies the last week of April and they will include
    1 Black Australorp
    1 Dominique
    1 Delaware
    1 Salmon Faverolle
    1 easter egger
    1 silver laced Wyandotte
    1 gold laced wyandotte
    1 New Hampshire Red
    1 Buff Orpington
    1 Speckled Sussex
    3 Golden Buff
    1 Mystery Chick (Meyers meal maker)

I am so excited to begin learning more and more and even more excited for the babies to come!

1 person likes this.
  2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, Kelly! [​IMG] We are so glad you decided to join our flock!

Ah.... you chose Meyer, a WONDERFUL hatchery. We won't go with any other at this point, and plus, it's rather fun living pretty close to their facility! [​IMG]

-Alex

3. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Kelly. Glad you decided to join our flock. You're getting a great mix of breeds. Black Australorps, Salmon Faverolles, Buff Orpingtons, and Speckled Sussex are not only good layers of brown eggs, but they have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle breeds (great lap pets). Golden Buff is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which are laying machines. You should get loads of large brown eggs from those three girls. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - it seems like you have some busy times ahead with your new chicks. Don't hesitate to post if you are unsure or have a question - we're a friendly bunch.

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    One meal maker chick isn't going to go far. But you might want to read up on meat birds, to see how their care and feeding differs from regular laying chickens.

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Nice assortment of breeds, you'll have a lovely mixed flock. Be sure to make your coop large enough...those little chicks will grow quickly.

Have fun with your birds and if you have questions always feel free to ask!

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

9. KJ6485

a meal maker chick is just the term used by meyer hatchery for the free chick they include (which mimics your order......so it will be a layer) in which they ask you to donate the eggs from to charity. :) I couldn't eat my own chicken lol

10. KJ6485

We are planning to build an 8x12 coop :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by