Hello,

DavisinGilbertAZ

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2018
My name is kevin D. I live in Gilbert AZ. I live on 2 acres of land. We flood irrigate every 3 weeks and my chicken absolutely love it! We usually have about 50 free range chickens. Right now we have our spring chick coming around, soon we will butcher our older hens. Our hens live to be around 4 years before we butcher them.
I do have a question, tho. I seem to can't keep the doves out of my coop. I don't want to cage my girls in, I like the free range eggs and I have a chicken door. Its 16 inches tall and 12 inches wide. Any suggestions? If I put up a screen my girls will lay their eggs outside, and I cant have that, our heat, here outside, will cook them in a couple of hours. It's getting to the point, I'm getting angry mad as I walk up to my coop and see 20 doves inside feasting on my dime. Would love some help, the plastic owls are a joke. I need real help.
I so glad I found this forum, thanks for accepting me as a member.

G'Day from down under Kevin :frow Welcome!

I hear ya! The freeloading Doves at our previous home used to drive me insane also. Sadly for the girls, our new home is Hawk Central and they have to remain in their enclosed run for their own safety but this has stopped the freeloaders. Sorry that I do not have an answer for you.

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

DF52A9A6-9DC9-4F5E-837B-6DE83F787007.png

Yes sounds like you need a covered run and one with smaller mesh fencing so doves can squeeze through. Or you may want to feed birds inside and then let them free range, keeping coop door closed behind them.

Hello Kevin, :welcome There's lots of friendly, knowledgeable folks here who are always happy to give advice.

The only thing I can think of to keep the doves out is bird netting over an area of run. It is inexpensive and available on ebay but I realise this is not a practical solution if you want to continue to free range :idunno. Indeed 50 birds would need a pretty big run.

Back
Top Bottom