Hello

Hemshad

Hatching
Mar 24, 2019
Hello from Indiana! I am Fred. I am in the process of starting up a small egg business. As I begin my next life journey into retirement, I find that raising eggs may be a viable solution for supplemental income. My brand name is: Farmer Fred Farm Fresh Eggs. I intend to begin selling eggs at Farmer's Markets to establish the name. Any pointers or suggestions would be most appreciated! My goal is to specialize in cage-free, free-range, non-gmo, no antibiotic, no steroid, organic feed brown eggs. Though many friends and relatives believe I have completely lost my mind, I feel this is something I really want to do. I currently have 250 laying hens. My eventual goal is to have 10,000 laying hens and my own breeding program. Again, any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You!

Hello from Indiana! I am Fred. I am in the process of starting up a small egg business. As I begin my next life journey into retirement, I find that raising eggs may be a viable solution for supplemental income. My brand name is: Farmer Fred Farm Fresh Eggs. I intend to begin selling eggs at Farmer's Markets to establish the name. Any pointers or suggestions would be most appreciated! My goal is to specialize in cage-free, free-range, non-gmo, no antibiotic, no steroid, organic feed brown eggs. Though many friends and relatives believe I have completely lost my mind, I feel this is something I really want to do. I currently have 250 laying hens. My eventual goal is to have 10,000 laying hens and my own breeding program. Again, any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You!

Hello & enjoy your next adventure in life! Love the NAME! If your set on it, Awesome..but just perhaps... Farmer Fred's Farm Fresh Eggs. My Dad's name was Fred & so I am simply use to his business' always having the "S" at the end of his name..so It's habit for me. I shop farmers markets & what I look for is things that sets sellers APART from the others!!! Invest in some labels with your farm name & a phone number for reordering eggs & attach it to the cartons. Offer a .25 cent discount if they return YOUR previous carton to you (with your label on it of course). Amazon has adorable stamps for you to put on each eggs that say "Freshly laid in the barn" & other cute sayings. I find the prices for them VERY outrageous though. Perhaps do a name & number & email give away jar where you raffle off a carton of eggs a week. It is also a GREAT way to get contacts to email out info & updates on your farm & to have people request orders. Lastly, see if their are any small animal auctions near you. Our local bird auctions get great money for the eggs people bring in. BUT, not so good after you pay the auctions fee's, how-ever it IS a great place to get buyers! A LOT of people go just to buy eggs and 5-10 dozen at a time!!
I wish you luck and again, I look for what stands out. That is where I give my business. Even if you have to dress like "American Gothic" with a pitch fork in hand....it draws in the customer. Once they buy once, they will return. GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited:
:yesss: :welcome :yesss:
Miss Piggy Sue says, “Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC!”

You’ll have to get your egg permit here in Indiana.
http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/ISEB/

F794B5A4-8E0C-422A-AB61-B57E5549DF55.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom