Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Canuck88, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Canuck88

Canuck88 Chirping

Jul 17, 2019
    BC
    Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself :) We moved from town to our farm last winter and I am having so much fun with all of my new found chicken freedom!

I have a lot of chickens.. lots of different breeds. My goal is to have around 30 hens for eggs to sell and give to family and friends, as well as several breeding pens. I had a plan for my breeding pens that has changed so many times because a) I find it hard to commit to just one or two breeds and b) I keep falling in love with some of the roosters I raise as chicks. I have done well and "rehomed" many of them but so far have kept three boys that weren't part of my original plan!

Our goal is to eventually raise the extra boys for meat but I am not quite there yet. I am still setting up my garden and raised beds but would like to set them up so that in the fall I can let the chickens dig them up and have some fun in there as well.

We have 13 acres in BC and have Nigerian Dwarf goats, horses, an adorable JerseyxHereford calf (she will be our milk cow in a few years) and I am working on convincing my husband that we need to add some ducks to the group! I am also a mom of 2 young boys and work full time during the week.

Nice to meet you all!

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I will have a hard time letting go of my cockerels too.
    I don't know how to get to the point of processing them.

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I recently passed a truckload of Cornish X on their way to be processed. Eating home raised cockerels that have been raised/treated with respect is becoming far more intriguing.

6. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Best wishes with all of your plans!

Feel free to check out the links below for some interesting reading. Good luck on your adventures!

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with the chicken's and the farm!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the pulse beat of the chicken community, Backyard Chickens .

9. Canuck88

Canuck88 Chirping

Jul 17, 2019
    BC
    You are all so welcoming! Thank you :)

10. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Nice to have you here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: