Hello

I used this type of heated waterer for a while... I recommend that you don’t hang it. True, it keeps the water from freezing. However - I found out the hard way that even carrying it by the handle when 2/3 full resulted in a partial bath for me on my way to the coop on a cold day. Not pleasant!!! I also wouldn’t use it year round, it will not last. Best is to fill it 2/3 and make sure the base is locked in place, carry upside down (not using handle and don’t carry it by the base) and then flip it over without splashing water all over yourself or in the coop, I set mine on a cinder block so there was no contact with the shavings, the chickens could easily drink and no shavings were kicked in the water. I used one of those heavy plastic casings for cords as I don’t have an outlet in the coop and ran heavy duty extension cord. I had to change water every other day because I couldn’t fill it all the way but the water also doesn’t stay clean in the plastic for long. So.... with some care and precautions it lasted 2 winters then it broke. I ended up buying another one because it was still freezing and I was in a hurry. I used the new one for another winter and now it sits in the garage :idunno Try it out before you ‘need’ it so you know what to expect. I also ended up with a bird bath heater if needed. For the most part I use those black rubber bowls (in the horse section) and I change water a couple of times a day when it freezes. Coop is close enough to the house and I work from home. The ice is easy enough to get out of the bowl, if a frozen block you can flip the bowl over on the ground and stomp on the bottom....
I just started using it a couple days ago. Yes it is heavy and definitely won’t be easy to fill in the winter. I won’t be able to fill it more than 2/3 and I dread it altogether really. My husband stated he will encase the heavy extension cord with small pipe. Wish me luck!

I used this type of heated waterer for a while... I recommend that you don’t hang it. True, it keeps the water from freezing. However - I found out the hard way that even carrying it by the handle when 2/3 full resulted in a partial bath for me on my way to the coop on a cold day. Not pleasant!!! I also wouldn’t use it year round, it will not last. Best is to fill it 2/3 and make sure the base is locked in place, carry upside down (not using handle and don’t carry it by the base) and then flip it over without splashing water all over yourself or in the coop, I set mine on a cinder block so there was no contact with the shavings, the chickens could easily drink and no shavings were kicked in the water. I used one of those heavy plastic casings for cords as I don’t have an outlet in the coop and ran heavy duty extension cord. I had to change water every other day because I couldn’t fill it all the way but the water also doesn’t stay clean in the plastic for long. So.... with some care and precautions it lasted 2 winters then it broke. I ended up buying another one because it was still freezing and I was in a hurry. I used the new one for another winter and now it sits in the garage :idunno Try it out before you ‘need’ it so you know what to expect. I also ended up with a bird bath heater if needed. For the most part I use those black rubber bowls (in the horse section) and I change water a couple of times a day when it freezes. Coop is close enough to the house and I work from home. The ice is easy enough to get out of the bowl, if a frozen block you can flip the bowl over on the ground and stomp on the bottom....

I had the same experience with that heated waterer. @Boutinc be sure to have some sort of back up waterer on hand if you have trouble with it.

Back
Top Bottom