Hello!

greenwos

Songster
Oct 23, 2020
Northern Ontario, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Hello from snowy Northern Ontario, Canada! I've been on BYC for a few weeks now, but figured I would introduce myself anyway.

I'm a Funeral Director, wife, and a mother to two children ages 7 & 8. We live in a smallish town in pretty much the middle of nowhere: closest "city" is 2 hours away. We recently bought a new house just outside of town that sits on 4 acres and is on the river, and we are loving everything about it. Last summer we spent our time establishing a vegetable garden (between the swimming, fishing and me working full time) and next summer will be chickens!

After lurking on BYC gathering ideas and learning, we started building our coop a few weeks ago - spring weather is so unpredictable and we wanted to ensure we would be ready for the June delivery. Our plan for this year is to get ready-to-lay pullets as well as meat chickens. We will be getting 4 layers, and each family member will pick the one they like. I'll probably be getting a Lavender Orpington and DH wants a Columbian Rock, the kids haven't decided yet, but my son's will be named Pumpkin. As for the meat birds, we'll be getting 30-40 and will build them a tractor in the spring to drag around our "soccer field". I'm really looking forward to the spring and can't wait to learn tons more from all you wonderful chicken owners! Cheers to a long winter.... 🙃

Hello from snowy Northern Ontario, Canada! I've been on BYC for a few weeks now, but figured I would introduce myself anyway.

I'm a Funeral Director, wife, and a mother to two children ages 7 & 8. We live in a smallish town in pretty much the middle of nowhere: closest "city" is 2 hours away. We recently bought a new house just outside of town that sits on 4 acres and is on the river, and we are loving everything about it. Last summer we spent our time establishing a vegetable garden (between the swimming, fishing and me working full time) and next summer will be chickens!

After lurking on BYC gathering ideas and learning, we started building our coop a few weeks ago - spring weather is so unpredictable and we wanted to ensure we would be ready for the June delivery. Our plan for this year is to get ready-to-lay pullets as well as meat chickens. We will be getting 4 layers, and each family member will pick the one they like. I'll probably be getting a Lavender Orpington and DH wants a Columbian Rock, the kids haven't decided yet, but my son's will be named Pumpkin. As for the meat birds, we'll be getting 30-40 and will build them a tractor in the spring to drag around our "soccer field". I'm really looking forward to the spring and can't wait to learn tons more from all you wonderful chicken owners! Cheers to a long winter.... 🙃

Attachments

• 20201109_231642.jpg
    20201109_231642.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom