Hello

Accidentalzookeeper

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2020
Hi everyone, after years of coming to this site to search answers for my chicken problems I had to post a question about some ducks we rescued so came to introduce myself.

We got chickens for the first time a few years ago. They were really my husband and 11yo son's project. Over that time we had a few lost to predators and other events and the older ones stopped laying so this past spring we added 10 more to the flock- 9 made it to adulthood so we currently have 18 and zero are laying lol. We have a mix of breeds- silver and gold laced wyandotte, easter eggers, ameracaunas, australorps, a couple of buff orpingtons and I can't remember the others.

We also got 6 ducks this past spring (again, my husband and son's project)- 2 buff and 2 fawn runners, and 2 khaki campbells. They all grew to be healthy ducks- no eggs yet. Last week a friend was walking at a lake when she saw 2 ducklings that didn't belong there- a lady told her someone had just left them- so she called me and now we have 2 ducklings. I don't know what they are and I'm having fun taking care of them but they have been having problems from poor nutrition in the first weeks. I really hope they are females and I'm excited to see what breed of ducks they are.

I never had a huge interest in birds but since we've had them I started to really enjoy their personalities and how beautiful they are. My son loves his birds and we call him "the chicken whisperer". I am loving the new ducklings- they are extremely friendly, love to be petted etc. compared to the others who I would describe as a tad neurotic.

About 5 years ago we moved to our current home which has a lot of yard space so we ended up having at one point 2 dogs, 3 cats, 3 parakeets, 3 rabbits who have recently passed away, fish, and now all these chickens and ducks. I didn't realize I would end up as a part-time zookeeper but I love it. We have 2 kids, I'm an artist and interior designer and I love to dance and read.

A chicken-loving friend let me know about BYC when I told her I needed help and I've been coming over here every now and then since. You guys are such a wealth of info!

:welcome
Hello from Nova Scotia and welcome to BYC! You’ve joined a great and resourceful community! Enjoy your journey!

Welcome to BYC from Arizona! This is the place to be for all your chicken news, connections to fabulous fowl folks and more!

My job title is also interior designer and I try my hand in the arts from time to time. Glad you're here!

Back
Top Bottom