I need some advise. The day before yesterday I didn't check on eggs under mama. It was day 21 I think and I didn't want to affect humidity. When I checked last night there was a dry chick running around and a pip that was quiet and still. I waiting 4 hours guessing that they had started at the same time and it was the same. I brought it in and took some shell off and it didn't seem interested in coming out. So I waited and read and took the shell from above the air sack. She seems to be in the right position but pipped just below the air sack right out of the egg. It's been 16 hours now and she still is quiet doesn't move much and isn't interested in coming out. Blood veins are drying and the membrane where air sack would be is almost completely clear. I can move it around on her and it's not stuck to her face. I'm just really confused now and don't know what to do. Another egg has popped on the nest this am and I'm leaving it with mama. Was I just too soon? Have I hurt this one even though i didn't make it bleed? I'd appreciate any help. I'm feeling pretty bad right now. Photos from beginning of assist and how she looks now.

Attachments

• 4B726A9C-5748-4889-BC22-DB1AF15A0410.jpeg
    4B726A9C-5748-4889-BC22-DB1AF15A0410.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to BYC!
If mom is still sitting, I'd put the egg back under her. You might mist it with a bit of water 1st in case the membranes are dry. Mom will take it from there. Hens will sometimes help a chick out of the egg, but mostly they have more patience than we do.
Congratulations on your upcoming event! And, welcome to BYC!

I need some advise. The day before yesterday I didn't check on eggs under mama. It was day 21 I think and I didn't want to affect humidity. When I checked last night there was a dry chick running around and a pip that was quiet and still. I waiting 4 hours guessing that they had started at the same time and it was the same. I brought it in and took some shell off and it didn't seem interested in coming out. So I waited and read and took the shell from above the air sack. She seems to be in the right position but pipped just below the air sack right out of the egg. It's been 16 hours now and she still is quiet doesn't move much and isn't interested in coming out. Blood veins are drying and the membrane where air sack would be is almost completely clear. I can move it around on her and it's not stuck to her face. I'm just really confused now and don't know what to do. Another egg has popped on the nest this am and I'm leaving it with mama. Was I just too soon? Have I hurt this one even though i didn't make it bleed? I'd appreciate any help. I'm feeling pretty bad right now. Photos from beginning of assist and how she looks now.
I did some more reading and took the membrane off the top. She has crawled the rest of the way out of the egg and looks like she will be just fine. Whew this hatching is stressful! Any advise as to weather I can give her back to mama or if she has to be hand raised now?

Welcome to BYC!
If mom is still sitting, I'd put the egg back under her. You might mist it with a bit of water 1st in case the membranes are dry. Mom will take it from there. Hens will sometimes help a chick out of the egg, but mostly they have more patience than we do.
Congratulations on your upcoming event! And, welcome to BYC!
Thanks!

I did some more reading and took the membrane off the top. She has crawled the rest of the way out of the egg and looks like she will be just fine. Whew this hatching is stressful! Any advise as to weather I can give her back to mama or if she has to be hand raised now?
Put her under her mother at night from behind when she is mostly or fully dried off.

Back
Top Bottom