Hello!

Glad to meet you, and welcome to BYC. Congratulations on your new home and upcoming flocks! How exciting and fun!

If you get chicks now, they won't be ready to lay until near spring time, but that's when their internal clocks will click with the sun any way. There are a few breeds of chickens that are better at laying over the winter, if you care about the eggs enough, or some folks add extra lights over the winter to encourage mature hens to lay even in the dark days of winter. Here is a link to a list of some of the breeds known to lay reliably in winter, though in a poll of BYC members looking for breeds that continue laying in winter (after their 1st year, without extra lighting) members reported silkies and salmon faverolles laying.

You may be interested in several intro articles. You can find lots more by either browsing in the ARTICLES, or by using the SEARCH button. Look for articles in the results by noting the entries, which will say Post or Article at the top of the entry summary. I like the articles just because they are more focused than the posts, usually. Also, articles here are written by members, and reviewed by members. You can use the reviews to help sort the most useful articles. Also some reviews include helpful comments and tips that add to the article itself.

Intro to chicken keeping 1
Intro to chicken keeping 2
Ventilation w/ links to several coop designs organized by climate (because what is great for my New England hens won't be good for my brother's Arizona chickens)
Predator protection basics
Intro to Duck keeping

Back
Top Bottom