Hello

Hocus pocus

Chirping
Mar 24, 2023
Just got some new chicks. My Dad alway kept them, but this is my first time. I have a used Eglu for now, that I’ll keep in a shady spot. I’m hoping to build them something more permanent by the time they get to adulthood. I’d like to build a chicken coop with 2 sides so I could move them or have an isolation area. As to the run, I’m hoping to have 2 sides there, too. I’d like to let them in one side in a moveable electric fence. Then when they wear that down (feeding garden harvest and waste hopefully getting compost), move the electric fence to the other side with fresher grass. Then move the worn portion into the compost pile with my tractor bucket.

Has anyone done anything like this? This seems like such a supportive website, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Colleen

Hello Colleen, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Is that all you plan to feed them? Just kitchen/garden scraps and lawn forage?
I one considered using a tractor but instead fenced off 1/3 area of my property with poultry netting and converted the shed that was there into a coop and attached a large predator proof run with a solid roof. I'm really glad I did that. It's super easy to take care of the flock and they always have green grass to forage.

Hi Colleen, welcome to BYC. I do something similar to @DobieLover
My coops are permanently placed, my chickens have secure runs (which has saved lives), and a chicken yard, as well.
I have two fields that are fenced separately, and can be accessed from the chicken yard. I alternate them so the chickens don't destroy all the grass.

Hello Colleen, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Is that all you plan to feed them? Just kitchen/garden scraps and lawn forage?
I one considered using a tractor but instead fenced off 1/3 area of my property with poultry netting and converted the shed that was there into a coop and attached a large predator proof run with a solid roof. I'm really glad I did that. It's super easy to take care of the flock and they always have green grass to forage.
That I’m not sure of Feeding. I imagine it makes sense to supplement, but I’m hoping to get some compost from it too. I’ve also considered trying to connect a tunnel that runs through one of the beds in the caterpillar tunnel and just compost directly with their scratching. I have enough beds to let one rest until the manure is no longer hot. I’ll be seeing what works I guess. Thank for your quick reply!

Hi Colleen, welcome to BYC. I do something similar to @DobieLover
My coops are permanently placed, my chickens have secure runs (which has saved lives), and a chicken yard, as well.
I have two fields that are fenced separately, and can be accessed from the chicken yard. I alternate them so the chickens don't destroy all the grass.
That sounds like what I’m thinking with the alternating. I only have 5 chickens. Was planning on limiting to 4, but couldn’t help myself, lol!

Back
Top Bottom