Hello

doirizarry

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2023
I’m from the island of Puerto Rico. I can say I’m pretty new to my own BYC. I got introduced to chickens thanks to neighbors and a special rooster caught my eyes. He was a very big barred mix that would pull out everything I planted as soon as I turned my back.
I started much later when a chick got stranded next to my house and my wife asked me to find the mama, no were to be found so it stayed until it died not too long after.
My wife got really upset so i started to investigate how to get my hands on some good huge layers. Started of with just one roo chick I purchased at the feed store, ran out of females and quickly searched for the largest chicken breed i could find. Jersey Giants. I stuck to the white variety because I figured the black would suffer a bit with the hot humid climate here in the tropics. Ordered 7, 1 male 6 female from cackle hatchery and shortly after i was the proud parent of 6 beautiful White Jersey Giant chicks. One was a DOI. I eventually noticed that i ended up with two roos so exchanged one with my mom for a barred female, she ordered her chick with me. So now i had the rooster I bought here for my wife, 1 giant rooster, 4 giant hens and 1 barred hen. Almost a year in i got to say I’m not really impressed with the size or weight of my giants and i continued to investigate. Hatchery vs Breeder, big difference. Hooked on the Giants i want to breed them and try to get them back up to the standard the blacks originally intended them to have.
I’m incubating all the eggs my kids or in-laws don’t eat. 😉. Free range as much as i can. Added some Ameraucanas and Easter eggers hatched 7, 5 are pure amd the other two are barred mix with giant and got 18 color eggs in the incubator along with another 13 of mine. Colored eggs are mostly for the family. More giants for the incubator 😉. Married 4 grown kids that still receive their egg dose from home due to the exorbitant prices. I also have a small fish pond and my chick nanny dog.
Main reason I subscribed to BYC is because most of my investigation ended me on this site and i would like to find the best breeder quality White Jersey Giant i can find

Attachments

• 70BE8D16-36F2-4C8D-8D74-11B0C6436EC0.png
    70BE8D16-36F2-4C8D-8D74-11B0C6436EC0.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 896D9902-FEEA-466F-BA92-8314A7AA8C33.jpeg
    896D9902-FEEA-466F-BA92-8314A7AA8C33.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 4
I’m from the island of Puerto Rico. I can say I’m pretty new to my own BYC. I got introduced to chickens thanks to neighbors and a special rooster caught my eyes. He was a very big barred mix that would pull out everything I planted as soon as I turned my back.
I started much later when a chick got stranded next to my house and my wife asked me to find the mama, no were to be found so it stayed until it died not too long after.
My wife got really upset so i started to investigate how to get my hands on some good huge layers. Started of with just one roo chick I purchased at the feed store, ran out of females and quickly searched for the largest chicken breed i could find. Jersey Giants. I stuck to the white variety because I figured the black would suffer a bit with the hot humid climate here in the tropics. Ordered 7, 1 male 6 female from cackle hatchery and shortly after i was the proud parent of 6 beautiful White Jersey Giant chicks. One was a DOI. I eventually noticed that i ended up with two roos so exchanged one with my mom for a barred female, she ordered her chick with me. So now i had the rooster I bought here for my wife, 1 giant rooster, 4 giant hens and 1 barred hen. Almost a year in i got to say I’m not really impressed with the size or weight of my giants and i continued to investigate. Hatchery vs Breeder, big difference. Hooked on the Giants i want to breed them and try to get them back up to the standard the blacks originally intended them to have.
I’m incubating all the eggs my kids or in-laws don’t eat. 😉. Free range as much as i can. Added some Ameraucanas and Easter eggers hatched 7, 5 are pure amd the other two are barred mix with giant and got 18 color eggs in the incubator along with another 13 of mine. Colored eggs are mostly for the family. More giants for the incubator 😉. Married 4 grown kids that still receive their egg dose from home due to the exorbitant prices. I also have a small fish pond and my chick nanny dog.
Main reason I subscribed to BYC is because most of my investigation ended me on this site and i would like to find the best breeder quality White Jersey Giant i can find
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom