hello!!

In the second photo, do you see a greenish discoloration at the top of the shank? Now look at the chicken's leg in real time. Do you see the discoloration? Is it greyish green? If this is visible on the leg in real time, this would be a sign that the leg has undergone trauma, bruising, and it hurts and there could even be nerve damage.

This isn't to suggest that bumblefoot isn't also an issue and can be contributing to the malfunctioning of the leg. It would be interesting to know if the bumblefoot is on the same leg as the greenish bruising. It might suggest that the hen is reinjuring the leg perhaps trying to roost on a perch too high or there isn't enough bedding to cushion the dismount.

Please post a photo of the bumblefoot scab and let us know if it's the same leg as the bruising.

In the second photo, do you see a greenish discoloration at the top of the shank? Now look at the chicken's leg in real time. Do you see the discoloration? Is it greyish green? If this is visible on the leg in real time, this would be a sign that the leg has undergone trauma, bruising, and it hurts and there could even be nerve damage.

This isn't to suggest that bumblefoot isn't also an issue and can be contributing to the malfunctioning of the leg. It would be interesting to know if the bumblefoot is on the same leg as the greenish bruising. It might suggest that the hen is reinjuring the leg perhaps trying to roost on a perch too high or there isn't enough bedding to cushion the dismount.

Please post a photo of the bumblefoot scab and let us know if it's the same leg as the bruising.
yes there is a bit of greenish there and it is on the same leg

Attachments

• 6CB4A4B7-833B-4CC8-9CD9-4CAC7B1A0DCB.jpeg
    6CB4A4B7-833B-4CC8-9CD9-4CAC7B1A0DCB.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 5
Thank you for clarifying that the same leg is involved.

The bumblefoot lesion appears to be minor. Surgery beyond simply scraping the softened scab off after soaking isn't necessary. Scrape the scab off so all bacteria under it can be washed away. Then dab some antibiotic ointment on it once or twice a day until it heals.

For the bruising, rest would be the primary treatment. If you have an isolation pen within the run (all runs should have one), let her spend her days in it so she doesn't need to try to keep up with the others and can relax. At night, she might be better off sleeping in a crate in the coop or in your garage. Feed and water her in this enclosure during the day so she doesn't have to risk injuring the leg further by competing for food.

Bruising can be a sign of internal injury to tendons and nerves, so vitamin B complex, one tablet into the beak once a day, can help heal the internal injuries. Plan on giving it for the next two to four weeks. Pry open her beak and shove the pill in.

Of most importance is to identify the source of her injuries. It may have occurred in a single episode of panic where she was startled or scared into injuring herself. I had a hen fly into a window when a predator attacked the flock and her injuries were similar to your hen. Or she may be injuring herself repeatedly due to her perch being too high or the floor being too hard when she jumps down from the perch. If so, it must be corrected.

Thank you for clarifying that the same leg is involved.

The bumblefoot lesion appears to be minor. Surgery beyond simply scraping the softened scab off after soaking isn't necessary. Scrape the scab off so all bacteria under it can be washed away. Then dab some antibiotic ointment on it once or twice a day until it heals.

For the bruising, rest would be the primary treatment. If you have an isolation pen within the run (all runs should have one), let her spend her days in it so she doesn't need to try to keep up with the others and can relax. At night, she might be better off sleeping in a crate in the coop or in your garage. Feed and water her in this enclosure during the day so she doesn't have to risk injuring the leg further by competing for food.

Bruising can be a sign of internal injury to tendons and nerves, so vitamin B complex, one tablet into the beak once a day, can help heal the internal injuries. Plan on giving it for the next two to four weeks. Pry open her beak and shove the pill in.

Of most importance is to identify the source of her injuries. It may have occurred in a single episode of panic where she was startled or scared into injuring herself. I had a hen fly into a window when a predator attacked the flock and her injuries were similar to your hen. Or she may be injuring herself repeatedly due to her perch being too high or the floor being too hard when she jumps down from the perch. If so, it must be corrected.
thank you so much i believe i know the cause of the injury she had gotten her leg caught under a stick its now been removed though thankfully so that the others cant get hurt as for the vitamin b complex is there a specific brand or like place you'd suggest to get it from?

Sorry about your chicken. It does look like the chicken may have broken her foot or leg by the green bruising in the upper leg and foot, and the swelling, as well as it being limp and useless. Can you see any break in the skin besides the cut on the foot pad? Sometimes a splint can be used to heal a broken bone. I can help if you can pinpoint where a break may be. Sometimes limiting activity in a wire dog crate close to food and water for a couple of weeks may help if it is sprained or broken. You shouldn’t let her jump onto a roost. I would clean the footpad wound, and put a small 2x2 dressing with Neosporin on it. Change it every other day. Here is a video of applying a dressing to the foot sore:

thank y
Sorry about your chicken. It does look like the chicken may have broken her foot or leg by the green bruising in the upper leg and foot, and the swelling, as well as it being limp and useless. Can you see any break in the skin besides the cut on the foot pad? Sometimes a splint can be used to heal a broken bone. I can help if you can pinpoint where a break may be. Sometimes limiting activity in a wire dog crate close to food and water for a couple of weeks may help if it is sprained or broken. You shouldn’t let her jump onto a roost. I would clean the footpad wound, and put a small 2x2 dressing with Neosporin on it. Change it every other day. Here is a video of applying a dressing to the foot sore:
thank you!! i have her in a small crate indoors for now and shes doing better already :)) thanks again

Back
Top Bottom