Hello!

Hi! I am a new chicken mom in Central Florida 😊

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am brand new to chickens - and although my parents raised chickens for several years, it wasn't until I was put of the house , so my chicken knowledge is negligible. We got our first 26 baby chicks in February, and it has been quite the learning experience since.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
About a month ago realized that 25 (we lost one 😭) was too much for the space we have. So we started selling them off... and discovered that 3 month old chickens sell for more than we expected. With that, we sold all but 2 from the first flock, which has allowed us to recover nearly all of our startup chicken costs. In addition, we have 24 2- week old chicks, with the intention of raising most of them at 3 months old to recover the remainder of our startup costs and keeping a few for laying.

(3) What breeds do you have?
We have Rhide Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
It has been such a joy to watch these chicks grow - I have gotten so attached to them, and it was actually quite difficult to sell them. I wanted to make sure they went to good families who could keep them alive since we just loved these girls so much.
But even beyond that, the chickens have been so wonderful for my children. They have gained so much responsibility in making sure they are fed, watered, taken in and out each day. We don't have any pets, so it has been fun to see them treat our birdies like pets - snuggling and loving on them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
All things Jesus!
Gardening
Baking (especially all things sourdough)
 Sewing
Classic literature
Raising my children (does that count as a hobby?!)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am married to a serial entrepreneur, who is also an incredible husband and father. We have six children, ages 8 down to 9 months, and Lord willing, more to come! I am a stay at home homeschooling mom, and I LOVE it.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found out about BYC when one of our chicks was knocking on death's door, and the advice I found here saved her. That was a few days ago, and I immediately joined the community so I can learn from others who are more experienced in raising chickens than I am.

I
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom