Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by third grade teacher, Jan 27, 2010.

1. third grade teacher

third grade teacher Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Greetings! This is my first post at BackYardChickens.

I teach third grade in a suburban school here in Oregon. My class will be raising chickens soon. If you have any advice--I'm very new at this but learning more every day--I'd sure appreciate it. I'll be posting more as the project progresses. Have an incubator on order right now and when it arrives, I'll look at ordering some eggs!

Been lurking around a little and this seems like a very nice forum!

Rob

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    [​IMG] There is a wealth of knowledge here on the forum--if you have specific questions--ask away! If not, get reading [​IMG]

3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] Rob! [​IMG] from the hoosier state!!!!! Glad to have you on board! There are a few threads on here with live webcam coverage of eggs hatching or you might want to consider setting up your own for the class project. [​IMG]

4. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

Hello and welcome! this is a great site with truly great helpful people1youll love it here! good ta have ya.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Welcome! Prepare yourself, former lurker. The people here are WAAAAAAY to nice. [​IMG]

6. kayjuggler

kayjuggler Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcome to the fun! I hatch chicken eggs "with" my Girl Scout troop. That means they come to my home to get mini-lessons on the process and candling sessions and then get to visit the new chicks. Some things to improve your success rate: reliable power sources that you can depend on working even when you aren't there. Also: find yourself some local BYC egg suppliers and try, if at all possible, to get yourself some eggs that you pick up instead of having shipped. Shipping can (and has been for me) very successfull but it can also be a complete bust because of all the unpredictability of what shipped eggs go through. For hatching with kids, you don't need particular show quality or rare breeds so find a local source to improve your success rate and have a blast. You may want to try one hatch on your own at home first to test your incubator. That would reduce your chances of having a lot of disapointed kids from a poor hatch. Good luck and watch out because this is an ADDICTION!

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi there Rob! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! What a lucky class you have to be able to raise chickens! They're gonna love it! Enjoy! [​IMG]

10. third grade teacher

third grade teacher Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Thank you everyone for the nice welcome!

I've done quite a bit of reading on the forum so far. What a great place!

I haven't told the third graders yet that we'll be doing this. I'm expecting that they'll be very excited. (I know I'm very excited!) We study vertebrate animals in the third grade here so this will dovetail nicely with those studies.

My boss has given me permission to use an enclosed courtyard here at the school. That's where the chickens will go.

Every day in my class I have a different third grader be our "photographer" so it won't be long and we'll be posting pictures of our progress.

I look forward to getting to know all of you better through this forum!

Thanks again!
    Rob

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by