Hello!

third grade teacher

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 19, 2010
Portland, OR
Greetings! This is my first post at BackYardChickens.

I teach third grade in a suburban school here in Oregon. My class will be raising chickens soon. If you have any advice--I'm very new at this but learning more every day--I'd sure appreciate it. I'll be posting more as the project progresses. Have an incubator on order right now and when it arrives, I'll look at ordering some eggs!

Been lurking around a little and this seems like a very nice forum!

Rob

welcome-byc.gif
There is a wealth of knowledge here on the forum--if you have specific questions--ask away! If not, get reading
big_smile.png

frow.gif
Rob!
welcome-byc.gif
from the hoosier state!!!!! Glad to have you on board! There are a few threads on here with live webcam coverage of eggs hatching or you might want to consider setting up your own for the class project.
wink.png

Welcome! Prepare yourself, former lurker. The people here are WAAAAAAY to nice.
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to the fun! I hatch chicken eggs "with" my Girl Scout troop. That means they come to my home to get mini-lessons on the process and candling sessions and then get to visit the new chicks. Some things to improve your success rate: reliable power sources that you can depend on working even when you aren't there. Also: find yourself some local BYC egg suppliers and try, if at all possible, to get yourself some eggs that you pick up instead of having shipped. Shipping can (and has been for me) very successfull but it can also be a complete bust because of all the unpredictability of what shipped eggs go through. For hatching with kids, you don't need particular show quality or rare breeds so find a local source to improve your success rate and have a blast. You may want to try one hatch on your own at home first to test your incubator. That would reduce your chances of having a lot of disapointed kids from a poor hatch. Good luck and watch out because this is an ADDICTION!

Thank you everyone for the nice welcome!

I've done quite a bit of reading on the forum so far. What a great place!

I haven't told the third graders yet that we'll be doing this. I'm expecting that they'll be very excited. (I know I'm very excited!) We study vertebrate animals in the third grade here so this will dovetail nicely with those studies.

My boss has given me permission to use an enclosed courtyard here at the school. That's where the chickens will go.

Every day in my class I have a different third grader be our "photographer" so it won't be long and we'll be posting pictures of our progress.

I look forward to getting to know all of you better through this forum!

Thanks again!
Rob

Back
Top Bottom