Hello

kceasley

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
North Carolina
I am a new member to BYC but I am not a chicken owner yet. I have wanted to own chickens for quite some time, since the city of Durham, NC decided to allow urban chickens. However it never seemed to be the right time with family changes, apartment living, moving away and then back. I have now reached a point in my life where I can add a few feathered ladies to my family. I have started the process of obtaining my permit and I hope to get my ladies in May. yipee! I will be ordering 2- Australorps 1- Easter egger and 1 or 2- Barred Rocks. I will be keeping them as pets 1st and for eggs 2nd.

A little about me...

I am a divorced/single/home owning/animal loving/hard working mother of a little ray of sunshine. She is so bubbly and happy that I her name, which is that of a spring flower, fits her personality perfectly. She will be 6 this coming April and the chicks will be like a belated birthday present!

We have a little brick home in Durham's city limits that I describe as "quaint". Plaster walls, hardwoods, large windows, and a terribly temperamental radiator heating system... Quaint! :) Its not much and its not perfect but its full of love!

We have our protector, hopefully protector of our hens as well, Diesel who is an 8yo American Staffordshire terrier. Also, our cat that thinks she is a dog named Moscato (doubt she will be protecting the hens). See pictures!

I am really looking forward to building my coop and filling it with some fiesty hens. I would love any advice on the coop building that may not relayed in the coop design page. And any tips for the breeds that I would like to get. I hope I didn't leave anything out.

I will keep you all updated on the status of my permit! Hope to hear from many of you!

Kenya

frow.gif

Speaking of Updates!

I had a really nasty run in with a neighbor... well the neighbors son. I went next door to speak to the elderly couple that lives beside me just to see if they had questions about the permit I am applying for or if they wanted me to read/explain anything about the Urban Development Ordinance. They are a sweet couple and I am very fond of them. \

Well the elder man insisted that Durham does not allow chickens, which did not bother me because he may not have know about the new law. Then his son showed up. He proceeded to yell at me, interrupt me, and tell me they have never had chickens in the neighborhood since his parents built the home 50 years ago... I asked him what was wrong and why he was upset, I explained that I understood their concern but that there was not reason to yell... he said they are talking to their lawyer. I then got up, expressed my confusion as to why he needed to speak to me in such a way, said goodbye.

When I got back to my house I spoke to the person who processes the permit applications and he reassured me that there have been others with neighbors that screamed and shouted but that the only way they can stop me is to prove that they have a LEGITIMATE and UNRESOLVABLE complaint. Since the city approved backyard chickens in 2009, Durham has not denied a single permit and only 6 "non consents" have gone under review and all were resolved and approved. I felt better after hearing that but it still hurt to be disrespected by someone that I don't even know for something that is within my rights as a citizen...

Just wanted to share

Kenya

Back
Top Bottom