Hello!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about your chick problems and your loss. Getting her a buddy is a good idea, chickens doesn't like being alone.

Thanks would you think that a new chicken might pick on the sick one? Would it take time to integrate them? X

welcome-byc.gif
Is there a chance the chick has injuries from the predator, that you haven't noticed? Is she eating and drinking? Is she young enough to still require a heat source? Chickens are easily stressed and to be the only survivor is very frightening for her. As another poster suggested get her a mirror, so she thinks she is not alone. Give her a stuffed toy to cuddle with. If she is in a brooder - alone - give her a small box turned upside down with a opening cut in one side so she can go in and feel more secure.

Chickens are flock animals and do better with a least one buddy. If you want to get another chick to keep her company, I would look for one a little younger and smaller - so it is less inclined to pick on her. If you think she is truly ill instead of just lonely and stressed, please post symptoms in detail, age, etc. on "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread - more experienced people monitor that and should be able to offer better suggestions.

Oh yes, we have many members from UK, and regions around the world. If you go to "where am I, where are you," you may find a dedicated UK thread to post on. You could also put "Cross Continental Friends," in the search box and see if you can post there.

I'd suggest you get Polyvisol pediatric drops(NO IRON) for the little chick but, I don't know if it is available in UK. 2 drops 3 times a day- put just inside the beak or on food(if she does eat) this seems to give a boost. She may eat plain, yoqurt, or finely mashed boiled egg yolk with a bit of yoqurt to moisten. Please let us know how she does.

Back
Top Bottom