hellp

asifakbar

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 9, 2013
my small size perakeets is sick and not laying eggs plzz tell me what type of medicine i can use for him?

When you say "not laying eggs," do you mean egg bound? Like there's an egg there and she just can't push it out? I just had that with my finch and it's pretty serious. I'm not an expert but the advice I found in when trying to help my bird was to try massaging the vent with vegetable oil or letting the bird sit in warm water. Neither of those cut it with my finch and the advice I tried that finally worked was to hold the bird over a steaming kettle (not close enough to burn, be very careful) and help push the egg out. If you do this you have to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL! If the egg breaks while it's still inside the bird it will almost certainly die.

Here is a video with information about egg binding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFYoknbMn7o

Here is a video showing how it's done on a parrotlett:

Egg binding is usually caused by a calcium deficiency. You need to make sure your bird has access to a cuttlebone and/or eggshell as well as probably another vitamin/mineral supplement in their water. I don't know about parakeet diet but I do know that whatever commercial food you get at the pet store is probably not adequate as the only food source.

But you can research all of that after you help your bird. Because if it's egg bound then it's an emergency. If you can, you should take the bird to the vet. Otherwise put it somewhere quite, and humid and give it extra heat. That'll help no matter what's wrong with it.

If it's not egg bound, and there's something else wrong with it the people who know more than me will need more information to be able to help. Tell us how its acting, what it looks like, how long it's been sick for, what you're feeding it, how old it is, and is it housed with other birds?

Back
Top Bottom