Helo from Wales!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WelshSpringChicken, Aug 8, 2011.

1. WelshSpringChicken

WelshSpringChicken Out Of The Brooder

Hi all,

My name is Emma, and I am new to keeping chickens myself (still at the deisgn-a-coop stage). Family have kept chickens when I was small, now that I have my own place I would like to start it up again. Space is limited - so researching on BYC has been occupying my last few weeks!

It has been many years since having much to do with chickens, where would you guys advise me starting off? I would love hatching eggs but think I would like some more experience first.

Originally wanting to rescue hens from local batteries (a few knocking about aroung here) but after considering my neighbours a fair bit more than in the beginning I am now looking for quiet breeds who are not that into flying (I would love them to free range). My back garden is fairly chicken-proof anyway but the fence partition is set on a slope, so the top of the fence has a 'stepped' effect - want to be on the safe side.

Any recommendations/tips for newbies my way would be greatly appreciated, but will be posting many similar in the rest of the forums in the coming weeks/years!

Nos da!
    Emma

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG], Emma! It's great to have you on BYC! [​IMG] Post some pics when you get the coop completed and your chicks picked out! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. WelshSpringChicken

WelshSpringChicken Out Of The Brooder

I will, very surprised I have been able to get around my other half without even asking. He went from 'We're not having chickens' to 'I can build one of those for you' without me saying a word.

Skillful [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Hello Emma [​IMG] from Washington Sate glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]. Way to get him to come along, my husband wasn't so sure and he now likes the little hens!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]

10. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hi Emma, from big bear, you'll love all the info you get here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by