HELP!!!! 12 chicks dropped dead within minutes????

Pics
Seeing as it is the only difference I can think of, I'm going to get rid of the rest of that bag of pine shavings in case there was something in it. It didn't appear moldy, and it wasn't damp at all. Y'all, this is the weirdest thing I have seen in all my years of raising animals. So upset, I had finally gotten some breeds I've been on the lookout for, and they are just gone. Poor little things, I feel so awful
Try not to beat yourself up. Like you said, this is a weird thing, a freak accident. Hopefully you can get a necropsey done and get some answers. :hugs

I’m not in your state, but I recently called one of my state labs and they were extremely helpful for my issue. Typically cost is much lower dealing directly with them than going through a vet. If you send a body to necropsy, do please call for details, but it will probably need to have lots of ice packs and a cooler overnighted. 🤔 Actually, your vet might have a nice cooler and extra ice packs, as vets get vaccines and such shipped to them frequently.

If you cleaned the bin after you last used it or just before using it now, is it possible that there was some residue left on it? Depending on what you used to disinfect the bin, whether is was diluted bleach or some other product, if it wasn't totally rinsed off and
left to dry, it could give off enough fumes to harm the chicks. Just because we don't smell it, doesn't mean it's not there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-please-😞-inexplicable-chick-deaths.1449255/#post-24110892

Eep, that sounds almost exactly the same! Quote from that post:

...galvanized stock tank bedded on pine shavings and warmed with the TSC’s brand name “Producer’s Pride” brooder/coop heater set on low or the appropriate brooder temp. Set up fresh food and water in proper chick equipment. Checked them roughly two hours after set up and every single one was dead. Clearly no wild or domestic predator attack, drowning, suffocation or any other danged thing I can think of BUT...maybe electrocution??? There were absolutely no signs of visible injuries but at least two thirds of the chicks had lower abdominal areas that look like they’d “burst”. Intestines were visible but not from the rear end. They appeared like they’d just “popped out” from the stomach and I’m sure someone here most know what could have happened.

(I'm personally thinking: not electrocution, if they're on dry pine shavings and spread out, not in contact with each other.)

Could have been a toxin
ECA0AE8C-8392-48B0-8C3F-4EE1A93E73DF.png

I have no idea what could have possibly happened. I have raised dozens of chicks, and altogether lost a total of maybe 5. Thursday, I bought six chicks from tractor supply. Brought them home, put them in the brooder, three of them had dirty feet, but I cleaned them up and everything seemed fine. Yesterday, I bought six more from Rural King, all seemed healthy, I put them in the brooder, everyone seemed to be doing well. One had mild pasty butt, but again, I cleaned her up, and she was acting perfectly fine. They have a brooder heater, not a heat lamp, it was on the correct setting, brooder temp was great. Fresh water, fresh feed, from the same feed bag I've been feeding my 8 week old chicks in the coop, all of whom are ok. Clean bedding, from a brand new bag. As of six p.m. all the chicks were acting just fine. Spread around the brooder, eating, drinking, etc. At about 8 p.m., my youngest son who is seven came running to get me screaming all the chicks were dead. I ran to the living room, and all but one of the chicks was sprawled out dead as a doornail. The last one was barely alive, and died in my hands minutes later. I have never in my life seen anything like this. I'm desperately trying to figure out what happened. Does anyone have any idea at all what might have happened???? No sign of injury, no sign of illness, just like they literally all just dropped dead. I'm freaking out right now.
THAT'S CRAZY!

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine. That's just so wacky.

Back
Top Bottom