Help! 12 week old GC not coming off roost!

AmberRose23

Chirping
Feb 17, 2023
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) 12 week old golden comet, was healthy, just acquired her a week ago.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She was sneezing, just had a piece of tiny corn stuck in her nose. She was wheezing a little and sneezing but then stopped. Our temps have been swinging wildly for CA I’m not sure if this has caused it.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? One day
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. She has only been here a week so maybe she is stressed?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. They are fine yesterday.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. it was a little runny. Sometimes brown and orange
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Electrolytes
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Whatever we need to do.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use we just laid down new bedding last night. Pine shavings.

I would first treat her for possible coccidiosis with Corid, sulfa antibiotic, or Toltrazuril. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If she is not drinking try to get the water into her, and drip on some food.

Since she is new to you she could be stressed and ahowing signs of a respiratory infection. Some are caused by biruses, some by bacteria, mold fungus, or just poor air quality. If I saw watery eyes, swelling around an eye, or nasal drainage, I would try to get Tylan 50 injectable or Tylosin powder online. Have you dealt with a respiratory infection before in your flock? Is she quarantined? That can be good to do for at least a month to prevent spread of infections.

I would first treat her for possible coccidiosis with Corid, sulfa antibiotic, or Toltrazuril. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If she is not drinking try to get the water into her, and drip on some food.

Since she is new to you she could be stressed and ahowing signs of a respiratory infection. Some are caused by biruses, some by bacteria, mold fungus, or just poor air quality. If I saw watery eyes, swelling around an eye, or nasal drainage, I would try to get Tylan 50 injectable or Tylosin powder online. Have you dealt with a respiratory infection before in your flock? Is she quarantined? That can be good to do for at least a month to prevent spread of infections.

Thank you! Do I need to go to a vet to get this medicine? She wheezes and sounds congested. It is supposed to snow here, should I bring her inside? She ate and drank some water after I brought her down. She seems to be doing better. It is very cold right now.

You don’t want to bring her and get used to the warm house while your weather is cold, but if she is really really sick, she should be brought in and kept warm. Are you in the US? Corid is in most feed stores in the cattle medicines. Tylan 50 injectable, which is used orally in chickens, is found in some feed stores. Tylan 50 dosage is 1 ml for a 4 pound chicken given into the beak very slowly, 3 times a day. If you can’t find it there, order Tylosin powder for the water from here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days.

You don’t want to bring her and get used to the warm house while your weather is cold, but if she is really really sick, she should be brought in and kept warm. Are you in the US? Corid is in most feed stores in the cattle medicines. Tylan 50 injectable, which is used orally in chickens, is found in some feed stores. Tylan 50 dosage is 1 ml for a 4 pound chicken given into the beak very slowly, 3 times a day. If you can’t find it there, order Tylosin powder for the water from here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days.
She is walking around and she is eating and drinking. It’s about 45 degrees and I’m in California and we are having unreasonably cold weather here right now and it supposed to snow today here which is like a freak thing. She just seems like she has a cold. Their coop has a big window which is just chicken wire, it is not covered. It is just how it came. The previous owners of the property built it. I don’t know what I’m doing, the rooster came with the property along with a duck who was eaten last Wednesday and I bought these two hens to keep the rooster company, because he seemed so lost. Ugh. I am just trying to do the right thing. I want everybody healthy and happy, I give them lots of love and treats and yard time. I will go get them the meds.

She is walking around and she is eating and drinking. It’s about 45 degrees and I’m in California and we are having unreasonably cold weather here right now and it supposed to snow today here which is like a freak thing. She just seems like she has a cold. Their coop has a big window which is just chicken wire, it is not covered. It is just how it came. The previous owners of the property built it. I don’t know what I’m doing, the rooster came with the property along with a duck who was eaten last Wednesday and I bought these two hens to keep the rooster company, because he seemed so lost. Ugh. I am just trying to do the right thing. I want everybody healthy and happy, I give them lots of love and treats and yard time. I will go get them the meds.
Sorry just ranting!!! All these things and I just moved here :((((

Back
Top Bottom