Help 2 New Chicks & I think they are sick!! *Updated*

Look more into that poo! I have one with cocci. It can kill them. I just gave him medication for it. Is the poo bloody at all? They definately have more going on than heat problems at this point. You might want to treat them for coccidossis in the morning. Look it up and check out the symptoms. Sounds like that could be the problem.

I don't know what to do I hope they are just tired, because they act weak. Oh and they told me that they were pullets... so is it true that americaunas can be sexed when they hatch? Just wondering, I swear this is the last time I will buy chicks at orschelins. Is the medicine for coccidiosis expensive? Can I go ahead and treat them to be safe? Can coccidiosis make my family sick? None of my chickens are old enough to lay eggs, what should I do. My last chicken that I got from orschelins has diarrhea alot too, but I have had him for about a month and if it was coccidiosis wouldn't they have died by now? OMG I am freaking out and don't know what to do.....
barnie.gif

they should have electrolytes in the waterer...you will have to continually dribble a bit along their beak till they come out of this. Is your chick starter (feed) medicated? Is it a brand name or is it something the feed store sold you loose. you need to find out what they had been eating . It souds to me like shock if they were active and acting normally at the feed store.... in that case dribbling the electrolyte water along their beaks is what they are needing. If you do not have electrolytes then diluted childrens pedialyte will do in a pinch (preferably UNflavored) Also offer them some live culture unflavored yogurt.

ETA : You have a heat lamp on them but what exactly is the temp?

Last edited:
Okay last night before I went to bed I dripped more sugar water along their beak, about a quarter teaspoon and we I got up this morning they were up walking around and everything. THey are acting fine!!! Yay I was so worried but I think they are going to be just fine now. I just held them last night until they pulled out of it. First they had a red heat lamp but then I changed it because they had a white at the store so I put a white bulb in there.

wee.gif
Thank you, I didn't know that, but I sure will try it today! I am so happy to hear chirping when I woke up! I feel like a little girl that just found her favorite dolly!!! I think I might go and get a couple of more. How old do you guys think they are? I really can't believe that they are 3 week, they are too small.

Im no expert but Im guessing a week or 2 at the oldest my chicks were much bigger at 3 weeks old and Im thinking more like a week!
big_smile.png
They are precious! Congrats good luck

So glad to hear they are feeling better. Maybe they were just tired, car sick, and a little overwhelmed at the move.

As far as age, 3 weeks could be about right. In your first pic you can see they have their wings. Ameraucanas are a small breed to begin with and most chicks won't have a full feathered wing till 3 weeks. I have a couple of Ameraucans that are 2 months old and still not very big and and couple that are 2 weeks old and still no wings - I have them in with 2 day old baby ducks and the ducks are bigger.

Back
Top Bottom