HELP! 2 YR OLD JAVA MALE ILL

bdfive

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 11, 2010
South of Blanco, TX
I'm frantic, don't know what to do. He stretches his neck and shudders it. Is standing upright like a runner duck and looks like he's having spasms in neck and back. He makes a noise I've never heard them make, assume it's a cry of pain. He's passed the white stuff from his vent but no good poo for at least a couple days. I caught him yesterday thinking he may have gap worms and dosed him down the throat with Ivermectin. Didn't see anything in his throat. PLEASE HELP!!!

LOVE MY HOBBY, LOVE MY PEAFOWL!

I hope someone can help you quickly! If you don't get any good replies try calling different peafowl breeders. That is what I do when I need a question answered very quickly. Just look up numbers on different breeder websites and hopefully someone will pick up and know what is going on.

I wish I could help but I don't know about those symptoms especially if he didn't have anything stuck in his throat.

Last edited:
hugs.gif
Bump

I wish I could help. If MinFox's suggestion doesn't work take him to the vet. Maybe call the nearest vet college? Please post when you find out what the problem is, maybe it will help someone else someday.

Gapeworms live in the trachea, so you wouldn't be able to see them.

There isn't much published info for gapeworm treatment... the only thing I could find said to give 20mg/kg fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) by mouth three days in a row. The average weight for an adult male is 4-6 kg, so that would be .8-1.2 ml of wormer. If he were mine and I had no way to weigh him I would go with the higher dose of 1.2ml by mouth for three days in a row.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6750887
Efficacy of fenbendazole against helminth parasites of poultry in Uganda.

Ssenyonga GS.
Abstract

Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions.

Last edited:
Oops, I re-read your post and you have a Java male... I think they weigh less, but I'm not sure how much less, so the dose I recommended would need to be adjusted accordingly. Although I should add that the wormer is used to treat capillary worms at 50mg/kg, so the amounts I recommended are safe.

If what I found online is true, an adult male Java weighs 3.8-5 kg, so it would get .64-1ml of wormer

-Kathy

Last edited:
Wow! thank you for all the valuable information. I'd already dosed the peacock with Ivermectin so will wait a week to 10 days and follow up with Safeguard. He started showing improvement late today. I'm giving him Tylay 50 in mashed sweet potatoes. He's eating well and not stretching his neck and shuddering like he was. I feel confident he may make it but sure thought I was going to loose him. We have a cold front coming through giving us several days of cool weather so will be worming them all. I keep pans of water for them to stand in due to this miserable triple digit heat in Texas but they can be removed so I don't have to use wormer in them as well as their water bucket.

Casportpony, will be making notes from what you have shared with me.......thank you so much for taking the time. I do appreciate it.

MinxFox, great idea to call some of the well known breeders. Thanks!! (-:

Regarding Vets.........seems everyone that takes their peafowl to vet ends up loosing them in the end. We only have on Avian Vet that is good in this area and they are so busy it's difficult to get an appointment. I did once take a hen with a broken wing in and she is still with me but vet set the wing wrong so I'm afraid to let her free range.......don't want her to break it again.

I can't thank you all enough for posting. Hugs to each and every one of you.
love.gif

I'll keep you advised.

Back
Top Bottom