Help - 3 week old ducklings dead in 18 hours!

I agree with @Miss Lydia. It sounds like Coccidiosis to me. I have not dealt with it personally but because I lean toward paranoia..worry wart..I read as much as I can and the symptoms sound tragically correct. It's possible that a wild bird delivered it as they can certainly transmit lice, mites & diseases. However, birds almost always have the bacteria within them. You need to visit your local feed supply store and purchase Corrid. I don't know the dosage but I'm sure someone else can advise? Do be cautious as it's mixed with feed or water and ducklings can overdose if ingesting too much. Corrid is a brand name but the medication is called Amprolium, I believe.
From what I understand, this disease can overcome young, older or ill ducklings & chicks but is generally does not unless their systems are weakened or compromised by something else. I'd treat this immediately..keep them dry & warm & give niacin (water soluble vitamin b supplements) & electrolytes. Don't worry, poultry cannot overdose on vitamin b as the excess will transfer to waste & the more electrolyte ingested right away the better.
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss! It sounds like you've been a diligent and loving mom. This isn't something you should blame yourself for. These things do, unfortunately happen. I will keep you & yours in prayer.

Back
Top Bottom