help 3 year old chickens with toe issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by walterchick, Apr 30, 2011.

1. walterchick

walterchick New Egg

May 30, 2009
    We have a small flock (7) 3 year old chickens. they have been in their coop since fall due to predator attacks (which decimated our flock) Today we let them out while we were outside and noticed that all but one has blueberry to grape size growths on each toe. I have no idea what this is. Fungus? I need help, they are having trouble walking with these growths on their feet.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    are they living in a clean environment, do they get to go out to n outside fenced in yard? This would help to keep their feet clean, sounds like an infection, my be viral like a wart. can you build an enclosed yard so the hens can get access to the outside, best fore them, helps to keep them healthy. Can you soak thre feet say in epsome salt and warm water. Also how long have they been like this

3. walterchick

walterchick New Egg

May 30, 2009
    Thank you for your quick advice and help. I am a real newbie at the chicken raising business, as my 2 children are in charge until a problem arises:) I guess I jumped the gun when I saw the "growths". Upon a further inspection it turns out they fell victim to a bad case of poop balls on their toes. They spent the last hour getting a pedicure, amid protest I must add, and are now "growth" free. Thanks again for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by