Help!! 3wk old chick with broken knee What should we do???????Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bossynbella, Jun 22, 2008.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We have a 3wk old Buttercup chick that somehow seems to have broken its knee one of its legs bends backward and it just drags that leg around.
    People I have talked to about it say to splint the leg but I am not sure how to do that or if it will actually work.
    We have her seperated from the rest of the chicks. She is still eating and drinking.
    Is there anything I can do to help the poor girl??

Melissa

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    http://www.avianweb.com/brokenlegstoes.html
    "....The
    following advice...given by a vet...
    "Cut two pieces of (strong)"├žloth'adhesive tape, align the bones as well as possible and place one piece of tape on one side and the other piece opposite. Squeeze the tapes together down each side of the tape with forceps , as close to the bone as possible, and then cut the tape close to the leg, maybe 1/16 ". After this run a bead of 'super glue' down both seams and let dry. The superglue holds the edges together and also strengthens the tape. A perfect little cast."

...if you need a bit more support for it then use one of those foam curlers (remove plastic piece and cut on one side so you can slip it over the tape cast you made following instructions above... tape it close above and below the knee joint >just enough to close it...).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hey, that foam curler sounds like a really cool idea. Who'da thunk?? You are full of ideas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by