Help! 4.5 Month Old Ameraucanas -Update: All three were hens!

Here are a few more shots of the dark silvers face. He has sort of thin looking feathers down his sides, but I don't see any clear saddle feathers so that is iffy, but also his comb is a wee bit bigger than the other two silvers. Still- at 4.5 months I am so surprised neither look like roosters. I mean, look at the brown guy. He is the exact same age and he is crowing already.

Thanks for all the comments guys!! I think this may be a case of having to wait til one crows or lays an egg, like someone said. Oh dear!

42359_2_silver.jpg

42359_3_silver.jpg

the darker silver is a male. I have a few that color.
The other is probably the dominant male and he colored first. the other silvers look girly to me. But the one I would bet a chicken that he is a little "cocky"

You will know pretty soon at 4.5 months when your nice eggs start to come!
I think the two lighter ones are pullets and agree with you that the darker one is still unsure...

The dark silver is definitely a female, along with the other two - I believe her coloring is very typical for a female EE, but what really give it away is that a 4.5 month old rooster would have a much bigger comb than she does. There are no pointed sickle or hackle feathers either. She'll be laying eggs soon.

My silver 5 month old pullets started getting a red comb about a month ago...we have EE's by the dozens(and true Am's) it looks just like a pullet getting closer to pol than the other ones.All of my true 4.5 month pullets now have red combs as well.Combs are way roo small and not red enough to be roo on yours.I'll see if I can get my 4.5 month old roo to come out of hiding-it's 100 here now and get a picture of his comb..he's also a silver so you can see the huge difference.
Edited to add this picture..He hatched on Feb 10th all 3 rows have been very noticeable for weeks now and his comb was getting red by 4 weeks when we can start finding our roos (some sooner the little braggers)
35655_birthday_004.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey mine were hatched on Jan 28th, they are very close in age to yours!! Thanks for the pic, your boy is so much like my boy/girl. Such a pretty colour, I just love silver.

So basically- I won't be too surprised if they pop out eggs, or if they start having crowing competitions. Fingers crossed for alllll girls! That would be so sweet. The only thing that really makes me think they might be girls is that my 3 month old silvers, same parents as these guys, the ones I suspected were boys were already starting their combs, and having the sheen to their tail feathers, as well as thicker legs. If the silvers were that much slower to mature, you'd think the three month olds wouldn't have been showing signs so early. Hmm! EE's are tricky buggers huh!

Back
Top Bottom