Help. 48 hr chick still hatching.

Other one would not stay moist last night. Even with putting warm wet rags in. So somewhere around 1 a.m. I wrapped it in one of my girls small wet rags. I was scared to do that and leave it all night. Woke up this morning and it was trying but panting like crazy. Still could not break thru. I took the top off. He didn't look like he would make it. So I left him for a while to see if he would get some energy. Came back in an hour he had moved his head but wings and things were still in the shell. I removed the shell. Probably wrong thing to do. He was still hooked on the bottom a lil. There was some blood but it seemed to stop pretty fast. It has been about 2 hours. I just checked on him. He is still looking very exhausted. But if I shine my light in he will move around in his little egg carton pretty good. He is drying out and looking alot better. Trust me. I am not getting my hopes up. The third one is not doing anything that I can tell. These eggs were sat on by BO mom for like a week. And in that time she hatched a BO chick that she didn't know how to raise and not Brood. Don't know if that could have played a part. She stopped sitting after they were a week old. Same day I put them in bator. Don't think I'll do that like that again. Just keep telling myself this is my first try.

I open my bator a lot, a lot more than everyone says you are supposed to(which is none). If I have to open my bator, before I close it, I add very warm(almost hot) water to my dish. It always bring my humidity back to the point of where it was before I opened it. This works for me, maybe not for others. The problem I have found with removing the shell is the membrane dries out a lot quicker.

Krista

Hang in there. It sounds like you are doing everything you can!! I am keeping my fingers crossed that this little one makes it.

Well it has been a long weekend. The second chick got up and would move around but never seemed like he was o.k. He seemed like he couldn't move his right leg at all. He panted all day. He died late friday night.

The third one never hatched.

Not real excited about trying this again soon. I will wait and get somemore supplies to measure humidity. And read up somemore.

Thanks for all your help. I think helping them gave them the best chance they had. Something was just wrong.

Guess if all eggs hatched, we would be walking around chickens everywhere we went. God made this process difficult for a reason.

Thanks again
Brenda

So sorry things did not go well for you. It can be devastating, but you will try again at some point. We all do. My first attempt,I had 50 eggs in an old Brower someone gave me. I could never get the temps to regulate(found out later I needed to change the wafer thermostat). I did not get one chick out of the batch.

I'm so sorry about your loss. It's devastating but do try again. Once you do hatch some out you will be hooked. I had 2 full time free range chicken's that were sitting and were killed during the night by a predator. The following morning when I found the horrible scene I rushed the egg's to my bator and most of them hatched. The tricky part was I didn't know what day they were on so I had to try and guess when to move them to the hatcher. Also year's ago I had a game hen sitting during winter. It was bitter cold. 17 degrees and we decovered something had killed that hen. She was one of the first two chicken's I ever had. Well I didn't have a bator back then so I put them under a light for heat and they hatched. To be so delicate they are also strong and hardy. Again so sorry:(

so sorry to hear they didnt make it but do not become discouraged i think the fact the hen did partial incubation and then you had to switch probably played a role in their demise but if u try again which i hope u do a hygrometer does wonders. and u will probably see better results. i wish u luck and hope u get it next time its so rewarding when they hatch but so difficult whe it goes wrong. your rite it is difficult for a reason its natures way. good luck and best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom