HELP!!! 5 month old Serama pullet with left leg protruding forward

WHAT I REALLY NEED IS INSTRUCTION ON HOW TO CREATE SOME KIND OF SPLINT OR CRUTCH THAT WILL ALLOW HER TO AT LEAST USE HER LEFT LEG FOR BALANCE SO SHE CAN HOP AROUND EASIER.
I have a 5 month old Serama pullet who's left leg protrudes forward and she hobbles along on her right foot. This started about a week ago. I first attempted to strap both legs so her left leg wouldn't be able to stick the left leg forward. She became very stressed out and managed to remove it. I also tried making a splint, but couldn't figure out how to do it correctly.

I'm letting her stay in the pen with the other Serama's during the day, and putting her in a dog crate at night so she won't try getting up on the roost.
Culling is not an option unless her quality of life greatly diminishes.
Her name is Blanche Dubois (she's always "relied on the kindness of strangers",
roll.png
) and she's my favorite little girl. Even with the bad leg, she still flies up and lands on my hand or arm
when I enter the pen.
0.jpg

I'm uploading some pics of her and a "shaky" video I took.
I would like to know how to splint her leg at least enough to help her with balance when walking. I should note, her leg still has movement when I hold her and she can still open and close her toes (but they're starting to curl).
I got the pics uploaded but the video is confusing.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
Your video could not be seen, because it said "private." This looks a little like Mareks disease, but I would try vitamins just in case. The B vitamins would be most important, but I would give a poultry vitamin other than Nutri-Drench because it does not contain B2 or riboflavin which could be the deficiency here. Below are some links to read:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Hi Eggcessive. Thank you for your response and links. I am going to pick up Vit B poultry vitamins to see if it will help.

About a week ago, she was trying to get away from another hen when she lost her footing on the roost she tried to land on. She ended up upside down on the roost, trying to hold on with one leg before letting go. I'm pretty sure that's what caused the injury. I didn't notice her limp until later the next day.

I've read about Marek's extensively a few months ago. Other than what I think is an injury, she has no other symptoms of Mareks. I've looked at her eye color, shape of pupil and all other wings and leg seem to be functioning normally.

I reset the privacy setting on my video of her to public, so it should be viewable by now. I have essential tremors in both arms, as a result my video is VERY shaky. The last part of the video show's the most detail of her leg and how she now walks.

In case my video is still not viewable, another BYC member posted an identical problem with a 9 month old pullet (in this forum). That post contained a video of how her pullet looked and walked. My Seramas leg looks exactly like the one in that video. Unfortunately that poster ended up culling her. (something I hope I won't have to do).

I am going to get the vitamin 2 for her and would also like to concoct some kind of splint that will allow her to hop a little easier.
Thanks for your suggestions and links.

in the video she is showing some evidence of curled toe paralysis of the left leg (when her toes curl under.) That can be riboflavin deficiency or Mareks. It also could be nerve damage from an injury I suppose.

UPDATE ON BLANCHE:
She lost use of her other leg from overuse and trying to balance herself. As a result she couldn't get to her food and water. After giving her water with a dropper and hand feeding her hard boiled eggs for 2 days, she was increasingly uncomfortable and upset. Tried the sling and chair which only upset her more so I decided to take her to the Humane Society this afternoon and have her euthanized.
Thanks to those of you who offered solutions. While I feel horrible about having her euthanized, at least she's not suffering anymore.

Back
Top Bottom