HELP !! 8 day old chick with 2 broken wings???!

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
My broody hen who is raising 8 chicks (mixed flock chicks) has been a good mama so far.... however yesterday I came into the feed room where I have her set up in a broody pen, and she had tossed the straw and dishes and was dust bathing!! baby chicks were flinging out of her wings and butt. It was hilarious at first... but then I saw how she was diving on her back and I gathered the 8 chicks into a small box. She continued to dust bathe for a bit, and I added some DE for her and sprinkled it on her back and gave her a rub. She seemed to like it. Once she settled down I put the chicks back in with her, and she opened her wings for them... all was good.

Today as I was doing my daily dinner watch to see how they are changing/growing etc... I noticed one chick wasn't participating at all. Her wings were low and she wasn't moving. After removing her it seems to me that her wings are both dislocated? or something. Wasn't like this yesterday. I am attaching some pics.
She is 8 days old, a marans CLB cross, so an olive egger, and I think she is female... so I really REALLY want to fix her.
I have that sticky gauze that you bind broken or fractured things with- but I dont know how or even if I SHOULD ???

Please, someone with EXPERIENCE. Can you help?

While taking the photos I flipped her over for better inspection- and there is blood- a fair bit. I didn't want to torture her too much, so took a few quickies and put her in her little brooder with heat lamp, food and water. She is drinking. Not peeping. She can walk well and is strong..

What do I do?

Tiny bit of bayer aspirin? like 1/10 of a tablet?
Polysporin?
Bind her wings? (left is bloody and can literally bend in the wrong direction. Right one is just droopy.)

I am worried about the 7 other chicks. I can easily raise them inside- should I ? How would a broody hen react to have her chicks taken from her?

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 29
I would bring 2 of the chicks in so this one has company and if it passes the other 2 will be fine with each other if mom won't take them back. I would wrap her with vet wrap. I don't think the wing that bends the wrong way will ever heal correctly though.

I am worried about the 7 other chicks. I can easily raise them inside- should I ? How would a broody hen react to have her chicks taken from her?
she will be upset for a little bit. her body is in broody/chick raising mode and its gonna take some time for her to come out of it. I took the babies away from a broody a couple days ago* and she is just clearly still in momma mode and wont let me near her. my chickens are skittish to begin with, but shes flying away from me at night if I get close whereas the others let me grab them. I assume she will calm down soon enough.

*I didn't want to but the yard is not safe for babies and she refused REFUSED to be captured with them.

ETA I would keep them inside at least until you determine why she flipped out.

Yes, definitely take them inside. Poor little dear.🙁 Try and see if you can put the wings back in normal position and bind them with the vet tape and hope for the best. She will probably never fly normally but she could still live a relatively normal life with good care.🥰

Hi
Ok, I brought one chick in last night. She yelled so loudly we couldn't watch tv. (the new chick- not the hurt one!!!) HOLY SHITE. I finally got my husbands wireless head phones and put on calm relaxing chicken noises streaming from you tube and hung them on the brooder....and they quieted down.
I bound her wings. It took me three tries to get it right. Today she is very active, eating, drinking, happy.
I think I will keep an eye on the other chicks and maybe bring in when they reach the 2 week mark...or rather.. I will bring these two back out to feed room and have all the chicks together but remove mom and put her in coop with the flock. I think that will work.

Do you think I should remove bandage after 36 hrs? to let the skin breathe and check it? OR do you think I should let it be for 5-6 days so the breaks can mend??

Hi
Ok, I brought one chick in last night. She yelled so loudly we couldn't watch tv. (the new chick- not the hurt one!!!) HOLY SHITE. I finally got my husbands wireless head phones and put on calm relaxing chicken noises streaming from you tube and hung them on the brooder....and they quieted down.
I bound her wings. It took me three tries to get it right. Today she is very active, eating, drinking, happy.
I think I will keep an eye on the other chicks and maybe bring in when they reach the 2 week mark...or rather.. I will bring these two back out to feed room and have all the chicks together but remove mom and put her in coop with the flock. I think that will work.

Do you think I should remove bandage after 36 hrs? to let the skin breathe and check it? OR do you think I should let it be for 5-6 days so the breaks can mend??
I would leave bandages on as long as you are comfortable. It will likely take a few weeks to heal. You can change them weekly, but important she does not flap her wings before they heal..😊

I'm so glad she's doing ok.
As far as why Momma did it - check her for mites. Broodies often get mites from all their time setting instead of grooming and dustbathing. They don't seem to notice until they've been off the nest for a couple of days. Even if the rest of your birds don't have any, a broody might be gross with them :sick BT,DT.

I'm so glad she's doing ok.
As far as why Momma did it - check her for mites. Broodies often get mites from all their time setting instead of grooming and dustbathing. They don't seem to notice until they've been off the nest for a couple of days. Even if the rest of your birds don't have any, a broody might be gross with them :sick BT,DT.
ok, I will do that. she is separated, so I doubt it. But I'll look. Never had any before. I think its more likely because my barn /coop has a nice dry dirt floor that they love to dust bathe in, and put my broody hens and chicks in my feed room because it is insulated!! but concrete floors... So she has hay but no dust!

Back
Top Bottom