HELP! 8 week old Dewlap Toulouse gosling was found laying on it's back. What could be wrong with it?

hhill1970

Songster
9 Years
Sep 8, 2013
I picked her up, and she's wobbly and a little weak. She had a bout of laying down and falling down about a week and a half ago. I went out and got Purina Duck feed, as it had the Niacin, and I was unsure about the All Flock they gave me at Tractor Supply, when I asked for the duck feed the 1st time... grrr😡
After switching her feed, she then recovered.
Other half started mixing the Producer's Pride scratch grains in with her duck feed, and then this started. I've told him to not do this anymore, and I've just taken the mixed feed away, and threw it to the chickens.
My other Gosling has been fine this whole time. With everything. Does anybody have any suggestions, so I can try to make sure that she makes it? Thanks so much
Heather

Thank you both so much! Since removal of the scratch grains, she is almost 100% again!!! :)
She was hatched out with both feet deformed- her toes were curled up. And, with a lot of water therapy, she has mostly normal feet, with the exception of 1 to being slightly curled still. I keep calling it a she, as I have a gander that needs a goose!! ;)

Scratch grains not only lack the appropriate amount of niacin but is lower in protein than what geese need. Geese love scratch as a treat so my guess is the baby was filling up only on the scratch, picking it out and leaving the rest.

That’s awesome! Congrats! Now can we see your babies?
Scratch grains not only lack the appropriate amount of niacin but is lower in protein than what geese need. Geese love scratch as a treat so my guess is the baby was filling up only on the scratch, picking it out and leaving the rest.
Yes, I think that is exactly what she was doing- Smart little girl. Of course, I have no idea if she/they are males or females at this point!
I will send pictures later today! Thanks to all who helped me!!

Okay, so here are pics of my babies 😊
The smaller one was the sick one, Forrest, who was laying on her back. She has some curled toes since they hatched her, and she does water therapy everyday.
She only has access to the shallow, weirdly used dog crate bottom, so she is able to groom in shallow water while I'm not able to watch her.
No idea as to what sex or sexes they are, but I already have an adult gander, so I'm hoping for a girl 😉
Any ideas as to their sexes?

Attachments

• 20200614_153330.jpg
    20200614_153330.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom