Help 9/7

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MTBuschFan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. MTBuschFan

MTBuschFan New Egg

Aug 13, 2010
    Billings
    This is my first year with multiple chickens, in fact my first year with laying hens. One of my Cochin Hens has recently decided to take permanent residence in one of the nesting boxes. She's been in there since last wednesday. I think (from what I've read) that she is being 'broody' as she almost refuses to come out and if you take her out she jumps right back in there. The confusion I'm having is that she is not laying or setting any eggs. She just wants to be in that box and when you go in to check her she puffs all her feathers up and make this funny chirping noise almost like a racoon. My biggest concern is that she has lost almost all of her belly feathers and is starting to get raw spots on her skin. There is plenty of nesting straw. This is probably my favorite chicken as she always has come to me in the past and usually likes to sit on my shoulder like a parrot. She never minded being handled up until she got this way. I don't see any sign of disease but definitely a peculiar behavior. Any ideas?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, she's broody all right! They don't have to have ANY eggs under 'em to go broody. It's hormonal.

If I were you, I'd get some fertilized eggs to put under her. Some other folks try to "break" broodies... but I'd rather let 'em follow their natural, if inconvenient, urges. Plus, chicks are so freakin' adorable!

3. betsy777

betsy777 New Egg

Sep 7, 2010
    I have a few that do this.. mine get down right ugly with me but if I throw down some scratch & throw them on top of it they forget.. she just wants to be a mama.
    when she gets hungry she will eat. I am letting one of them hatch out a baby right now hope this helps

4. MTBuschFan

MTBuschFan New Egg

Aug 13, 2010
    Billings
    So should I be worried about her bare belly and sores?

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

She's plucked her tummy to have a nice, warm spot to incubate eggs. That's why I suggest you find some fertilized eggs for her to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by