Help!! 9 week old LF Cochins missing feathers.

Mitchell'sCoop

Chirping
May 18, 2018
I recently added four 9 week old LF Cochins to my flock. After getting them home I noticed 3 of them are missing a ton of feathers on their rear ends. (One is a roo and the other two are pullets, only one of the four seem to have all their feathers). I'm very new to chickens but checked for any fleas or mites and do not see any signs of them on the birds. They all seem to eat and drink just fine and seem completely healthy. I have just introduced them to the rest of the flock and the new birds have had a couple bouts of grabbing onto the others feathers and not letting go. I know they have to go through and establish the new pecking order and such, the incidents haven't been too bad and there hasn't been any feather loss. I have noticed the new birds tend to peck at each other sometimes where they are missing the feathers (the little roo is missing the most). Is this possibly due to feather picking/plucking, mini moulting, bullies within their old flock? I'm not sure what I can do to help them grow their feathers back or if it was a bully at the old home doing it to them will it become a learned behavior, will they continue to do it to all the other birds? Any advice? Thanks so much for any help you can give!!
20180624_165524.jpg
20180624_165513.jpg
20180623_164528.jpg

This could be caused by over mating.
How many total hens and roosters do you have?

This could be caused by over mating.
How many total hens and roosters do you have?

I'm not sure how many were at their old home, they are only 9 weeks old. Isn't that too young for mating? I have here a total of 17 pullets (8 to 15 weeks old) and 2 roos (8 weeks and 9 weeks old).

Oh my..I am sorry..I totally missed their age.
I would say to double check at night time with a flash light for mites then.

Oh my..I am sorry..I totally missed their age.
I would say to double check at night time with a flash light for mites then.

Its no problem, I was thinking they were too young for that to be an issue just yet. I hope it's not mites as none of mine have anything like that and I've just introduced them all together a couple days ago. I'll check them out tonight and see if I can find anything on them.

Their feathers seem to be starting to grow back in a bit now. (Sorry not the best pic)

Attachments

• 20180628_182358.jpg
    20180628_182358.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 2
If the roo is the same age as the 9 week pullets then he is a cockeral not a rooster. Pullets become hens at 1 year and similarly cockerals become roosters at a year.

I would also double check for lice and mites. If the chicks were in with sexually mature cockerals or roosters their feather loss could be a sign of having been repeatedly dominated.

Are there any pics feathers coming in on the bare spots?

Feather pickers often learn the behavior from other birds or develop it if they aren't getting proper nutrition.

What are you feeding them?

Did I miss where you said how long you've had them? Did you quarantine them?

You could try putting some chicken saddles on them to cover the bald spots and give them so time to regrow feathers. Only after you are certain they don't have external parasites.

Back
Top Bottom