help 911 chick attacked by chicken

SFrati

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Springfield, MA
My 5 week old bantam Cochin was attacked by a mean chicken. Head feathers are gone along with all skin on scalp. Eye exposed. Still breathing and quiet chirps. What do I do?

flush with saline solution
then betadine or other organic iodine
eye type neosporin
Treat twice a day.
Don't put birds together until they're like numbers and like sizes.
New birds are considered a threat to the flock and will be attacked

Thank you for your help. I brought the chick to the vet and they basically said sorry we cant help you. They gave me a number to another animal hospital who also can not help me who gave me the number to a third place who told me not to put chicks with the adult chickens. Where is Dr. Pol when you need him?!?!

Chick update: all of the skin on his scalp is gone and his bone is exposed. His eyes are swollen shut. He is still breathing but no longer chirping. Instead it makes a clicking sound as it breaths. I used saline, 2% iodine wash, bandaged him up, waited for the bleeding to stop and then applied an antibiotic ointment and a new bandage. He is kinda just laying there. He wont eat or drink which doesnt surprise me.

Can chicks in such bad shape survive? I assume he will be bald forever if the skin regrows over the bone. He has a new home in a bucket in my 2nd bedroom under his very own heatlamp. I feel terrible that I let this happen to my babies. They are all separated again.

Back
Top Bottom