Help!! A bully teen is seperating the flock

calalaska

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
Fairbanks, Alaska
The smallest of my little flock has suddenly turn major bully! I have had to seperate him from the others, cause he has managed to preatty much pluck the others wing feathers bloody! Will this last or is it just a short term power thing?
barnie.gif

I dont have any experience with this, but maybe the little guy is bored? Does he have anything else that he's able to tug at? The most obvious would be grass, but maybe some toys?

No predictions -- but you can try keeping him separate for a week, out of sight of the others if possible. When you put him back, it will be like adding a strange chicken to the flock; he will automatically be at the bottom of the pecking order. Worth a try; it's worked before.

How old are they? Geese can be notorious for feather pecking. This is not always a sign of aggression. Sometimes they are just bored and start exploring which can lead to them feather picking. What breed are they?

They are Embdens, and I have tried everything, grass, greens, toys, even taking them on long walks (funny as that sounds) and it seems that he is just fixated with pulling the others feathers out...... I swear, it's got me pulling my hair out..... I don't want to have to get rid of him... it doesn't feel right, to drastic.... I have to be missing or not have tried something...

I hate to say this but he may always be a problem goose. This may be a "Gosling Phase" but there is a possibilty he will do this as an adult.

Back
Top Bottom